methotrexate and heart burn or feeling of something swollen in throat/stomach - side effect?

Hi, I have been taking methotrexate for a month now. I have started to get a discomfort - the feeling if you ate far too much and it was pushing up in your stomach in to your throat. I feel like I can't eat because of it. Have any of you experienced this as a side effect. I know I should see a GP but it is three week wait for an appointment so wanted to check if it is a normal side effect . Many thanks.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,102

Methotrexate can affect the stomach and this sounds like a stomach/oesophagus problem to me. If your GP wait is 3 weeks, how about your rheumatology helpline? I think they'd be better. They might increase your folic acid or put you on injected methotrexate. Or, possibly, just prescribe a stomach protecting med. But you do need proper medical advice on it. Good luck and let's know how you get on.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 28,075

I agree with Stickywicket @grom

Take some advice on thus as soon as you can and please report back. It might help another person in future.

Take care

Toni x

• grom
    grom Member Posts: 12

Thank you sticky wicket and frogmorton. I contacted the hospital rheumatology advice line like you suggested. spoke to one of the nurses. From my own research it is a more uncommon side effect. I have been bruising badly which I haven't before and my arm pits hurt. She spoke with a hospital Dr and they are taking me off methotrexate and im having a review meeting in two weeks. Sadly it means more joint damage as I will flare very quickly as only been on the meds 5 weeks but what can you do. I just need something that doesn't make me more ill in another way. Hope you are both okay and I appreciate your help.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,102

Phew! I'm pleased you took action. If you'd just let it drift it could have got nasty. So sorry about the wait for a new DMARD, though. I hope the next one does the trick with no side effects.

Who's Online

14 Guests