hello from osteo gal

comebackliza
comebackliza Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hello everyone.

I'm 59 and have already had many years of mild-moderate osteoarthritis pain--mainly in the knees, neck, back, and fingers--that lately has been worsening. For the past two days I've been experiencing debilitating pain in my knees. The cause? Well, firstly I'm in the middle of a flare-up, and secondly--and of more immediate interest--I wore heels Friday for the first time in a very long time. When I woke on Saturday morning the pain was so great I almost couldn't get out of bed.

Ok, so, shoes, yes. I won't be doing that again. But, worse, I feel I'm also entering a new phase of the disease and I don't like the implications. That's why I'm here. To read and learn.

Thanks for having me.

Liza

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 992

Hello @comebackliza and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that you will experience that as well.

I understand that you osteoarthritis in your knees, neck, back and fingers which is sadly getting worse and that you want to learn more about this. You are in the right place. Have you had a look at our website? It contains a lot of useful information on arthritis, treatments and hints and tips. To help I've put a couple of links in below.

Please do keep posting and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their thoughts and experiences as well.

With very best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,707

I don't know if you're 'entering a new phase' or not. I do know you're right in blaming the heels. You'll have been using muscles and joints in a way they're not used to. Maybe you've been overdoing things a bit before that too. Who knows?

From my all-too-long experience of RA and OA I'-d say ask your GP what he or she thinks, maybe get some x-rays, definitely get some physio. Gentle range of movement stuff when flaring. More serious stuff when not. It's always worked for me.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright