Increased Arthritic Problems and Holiday Insurance

Options

Hi Everyone. I hope you have had a restful summer, and the SADS isn't getting to you too much.

I wondered if anyone had any experience of this situation?

I am booked to Madeira for 3 weeks, after a booking made in 2019. The delay is covid cancellations.

Only last week, I contactedcl my orthopaedic surgeon's secretary to say that therhad Bern a permanent deterioration in my arthritis. I waited a fews weeks to see if it was a flare up. The only thing is I have not seen my orthopaedic surgeon during since May, when I was put on the list for a hip replacement.

I have travel insurance that takes account of my health issues (though I have not updated them since last week when I informed the health service of my current situation) , and I have only consulted with my GP in relation to medication to protect me from other tablets that can have side effects.

Also, the hotel have offered me a disabled room in another hotel.

I am uncertain about my chances of support from the insurers, and if there is more I could do to show treatment I have had eg from a masseuse (who said she felt that what has happened in the last few weeks was a permanent change and not a flare up) and an acupuncturist who has been trying of offer pain control for the tendinitis in my knee caused by the distortion to my leg due to the arthritis.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sheila 😔🥺

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options

I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

As I undertand it, you are going to Madeira for three weeks and are asking about insurance.. i always find it best to ring and talk to them in person as it's all too easy, online, to omit something essential

They will need to know that you are on the list ro have a THR and also any meds you are taking for any condition. I don"t think masseuses or acupuncturists come into it.

It is important to let them know all that's wrong, though. Otherwise, if something went wrong abroad, they could refuse to pay.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Sheelee
    Sheelee Member Posts: 153
    Options

Hi Stickywicket,

I do have medically enhanced travel insurance. I just don't know what the chances are that they will support me if I am too unwell to travel, particularly as I am travelling alone.

I am also quite depressed at the moment. The pain isn't helping but there are other things too. I worry about coping whilst I am away from home.

Sheila

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options

I'd see it as vital to liaise with your travel insurance company to see what you'll be covered for and what you won't. You might have to pay a bit extra but surely it's worth it for peace of mind?

Also, if you're anxious about how you'll cope:

1. Get wheelchair access at the airports.
    2. Find your seat number on the plane and what type of plane. Then go to www.seatguru.com to see how accessible it is. If necessary change it. Mr SW and I find it best to use rows where there are either two seats or four as ten we don't have to climb over others for the loo or have them climb over us.
    3. Find out as much as you can about where you'll be staying and what you'll be doing. If with friends/family, ask them. If on a package holiday ask the company.
    4. Remember you can opt out of any trips etc.
    5. If coaches will be involved can you get in and out? Some can be lowered. ("I make it kneel for you." one lovely Dutch driver said to me.) Otherwise I've had one strong guy pulling me from in front and another shoving from behind. All part of life's rich tapestry.
    6. Do you need to take a stick, crutches, rollator, wheelchair? All OK but do let the airline know.
    7. Sort out all the variables you can in advance. Then sit back and enjoy it😁
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright