Stiffness

Options
Bladesgirl1970
Bladesgirl1970 Member Posts: 8
edited 24. Sep 2022, 16:16 in Living with arthritis

Really struggling with OA stiffness in my left knee, been told i need a partial knee, neproxen isnt working anymore although it used to really help the stiffness. I have to stand on one leg when i get out of bed and wait for the bad knee to wake up and straighten...no joke...

Ive had xrays, physio etc and have a consultation in a months time, however every foot step is causing me pain in my knee, calf, shin and i can only go a few steps without stopping. not ideal working 10 hour shifts in the nhs! Can anyone offer any advice in the interim please . Im sure my bosses and colleagues think im exaggerating.

Kind regards

Liane

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

You could ask for stronger pain relief and also wear a knee support sometimes. Not too much though as they encourage the muscles to stop working. Keep those muscles strong and supportive with your physio exercises.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Bladesgirl1970
    Options

Thanks. I do wear a knee support all the time but wasnt aware it stops muscles from working ! Ive also got codiene but it doesnt really help with stiffness but it does make me sleep..

Thanks again 👍

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

Seriously, although supports are very useful the best thing we can do for arthritic knees is exercise them. Sometimes we feel we get more than enough exercise in daily life but because our knees are stiff and sore we don't use them as they should be used. Exercises are designed to reach the other bits that don't get enough of a workout. Before my TKRs I used to trudge round the supermarket using the trolley as a walking aid and the last thing I wanted to do when I got home was knee exercises. But I used to push myself because I knew I'd feel a bit better afterwards. They're not a cure. They won't reverse much. But they will help, long term, with the pain and slow things down a bit. If you can cycle or swim that's great but these exercises are what helped me.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/exercising-with-arthritis/exercises-for-healthy-joints/exercises-for-the-knees/

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Bladesgirl1970
    Options

Thanks very much, really helpful !

Yeah i feel i shuffle a bit at times and excercise does feel like it could be a chore but i'll give it a go as i know in the long run it will hopefully benefit me👍its just the 'getting started' bit 🙄

Its hard to think i danced and did gymnastics in my younger years.

Thanks again

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

Do stick with the exercises. They feel like they're not working and most people give up after a week or two (I'm guilty of this at times, but I really should know better). If you tone up the muscles around the knee so they support it better, the stiffness and pain should ease a bit, but you need to do this every day, long term.

• Fran54
    Fran54 Member Posts: 181
    Options

Hi

I agree with Lilymary . I have osteoarthritis in my right knee and started doing physio. exercises about 9 months ago. I must admit to not doing them every day, especially if I have been gardening as this is enough for me for one day! Before starting physio, I found that my right knee kept giving way when I was walking along and I was worried about falling over and doing more damage. I also lost confidence in going out on my own. I have kept up with the exercises and some days are better than others, but I have found that my knee does not give way now and it does feel stronger.

Keep positive and let us know how you get on.

Take care.🙂

• Moira
    Moira Member Posts: 88
    Options

Lillymary and Fran are right. Your muscles support your knee and if they are toned with the correct exercises (see the website or your local physio) it makes a huge difference. I can no longer dance sadly but with my snazzy colourful walking stick and my targeted exercises most days I can get on with life. OK not pain free totally, but at least I can move and my knees don't give way anymore (I used to fall quite a lot and once cracked my ribs -ouch).

Good luck and don't give up.

• Bladesgirl1970
    Options

Thanks everyone! Sorry for late reply here, life has been very busy working in the nhs (hasnt helped the knees) but i have read all your comments and advice.Thankyou ! 😁

I also have an op date for a partial knee but not till May. Although whilst waiting my other knee seems to be heading the same way...

I definately must do exercise to help myself. Thanks again to all of you. 😘

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options

Yeah yeah, we all used to dance and do gymnastics! Ok, I didn’t, hahahaha. Well I suppose I did in another life, I have had oa since I was young so my time of doing these things really was ‘in another life (time)’. Your exercise needs to be within your own limits, keep your joints fit, loose joints wear quicker but do not overdo exercise.

Right I’m off on a 6 mile boot run , no I’m not really, I’m having a problem holding a cup today. Keep smiling.

pits a grin, honest!