Covid, methotrexate, psa flare up

Options

Hi, I'm still relatively new to Psa so just wanting some other experiences really.

As I said I'm recently diagnosed and last week I started on methotrexate. I took my first dose on Monday and I tested positive for covid the following Sunday.

I've avoided covid up until now but the aches and pains I'm experiencing feels like one of my worst ever Psa flare ups.

Just wondering if anyone else experienced this and if you think it's the covid or the Psa causing it or maybe the covid exacerbated a flare ?

Thanks

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options

Hi @Caroline15

Sorry to hear you have COVID such bad luck.

i don't have PsA, but still inflammatory arthritis so similar treatment.

Quite a few on here have reported that their COVID jabs have started off a flare so it makes sense to me that having COVID may well make our joints flare up.

Take a look at this thread from earlier this year.

and get well soon.

NB I suggest you check in with your rheumatology team about taking your MTX this week.

Toni x

• Caroline15
    Caroline15 Member Posts: 15
    Options

Hi,

I will certainly have a read of this information and thank you for the tip about the Methotrexate, I have been told to skip this week's dose.

Thanks Caroline

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options

I send my very best wishes. Either arthritis or covid are enough to deal with. Both together just sucks. Be very gentle on yourself. Don't try to push recovery.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 711
    Options

Hi @Caroline15

I've never officially had covid as when I took ill in March 2020 the UK had stopped testing people. But I then took a series of chest infections/pneumonias before and after being diagnosed with PsA in October 2020 and those times were probably amongst the worst times I've experienced for joint pain.

• Caroline15
    Options

That's very interesting, so it would appear that some viruses, infections can cause flare ups or make arthritis pain worse 🤔

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options

In the bad old days, when mine wasn't under much control at all, anything that raised my temperature would set it off.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 711
    Options

Hi @Caroline15

The first time I was admitted to hospital with pneumonia was just over 3 weeks after I was diagnosed with PsA. The pain in my joints was my primary concern as I couldn't move my arms, close my hands or put weight on my left leg. My CRP level reached 340 but the medics weren't sure whether that was due to the pneumonia or the PsA as the CRP test cannot differentiate whether it's infection or inflammation. They actually let me leave hospital after just less than 2 weeks when my CRP level had dropped to 127 as they thought that level was due to the PsA - I actually was able to walk to the car. Unfortunately I was back in a week later as the pneumonia returned along with the major joint pain. So, for me, I do think there's a link.

• Caroline15
    Options

That sounds rough . I have been told today that I'm going to get antivirals.

Still feeling quite crappy if I'm being honest so hopefully the antivirals will work and I won't have the side effects like diarrhoea and vomiting