RA shoulder pain.

Options

Good Afternoon,

As always, I am looking for a bit of advice from other people who share the same issues on a daily basis. I have RA and have been on medication for many years. I am currently experiencing a shoulder flare up. I have had this before and found that a steroid injection worked well.

Can anybody please advise me whether it is better to try to keep it moving a bit or whether a sling would help? It literally feels heavy, almost as if it is dislocated (it isn't).

Any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options

I've always been advised to do gentle Range of Movement exercises when flaring. https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/exercising-with-arthritis/exercises-for-healthy-joints/exercises-for-the-shoulders/

But shoulders are horrible things to get comfy so I sometimes, when sitting and reading, used to make a sling from a scarf and use it to keep my forearm still which I found did help the shoulder.

As you say, steroid jabs can help too. Maybe your meds need a tweak.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Becky88
    Becky88 Member Posts: 96
    Options

Thank you, stickywicket. As always, you offer great advice. I am worried if I say that I am experiencing this flare up, they might take me off my current medication, Tocilizumab, which has generally helped me a lot so far.

Thank you very much for your advice. I really appreciate your help.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options

You're welcome @Becky88 . If we can make our arthritis experiences useful to others then it's not a complete waste.

I can understand the not wanting to rock the meds boat. I hope this is just a blip. Don't put up with it for too long though.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright