Managing pain waiting for TKR for over 2 years

MartinD
MartinD Member Posts: 10
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Have had a very bad painful day.As a consequence of altered gait, I've developed sciatica over past few weeks and now can't sit down.Just overwhelmed trying to manage pain.GP has given me max painkillers, and morphine based meds are next step up, but really don't want to take them.Stil no date for surgery,and I don't think I'm going to manage working from home much longer.I wake up 4/5 times at night, and odeama has become really bad at the end of the day.Never for so desperate in all my life.I have a great family and very grateful to all of them,but I feel so alone.I think it's difficult for people to comprehend how much pain I'm in.My heart goes out to everyone in similar circumstances

Comments

• rainbows70
    rainbows70 Member Posts: 18

Yes l agree, family members can’t fully understand the pain you are going through. Best of luck to you and l hope you find some relief.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,853

Oh @MartinD I am so very sorry you are suffering so badly.

Lots of people here with hip issues struggle with back pain (in fact many actually think it's their back when it's their hip).

I so remember one of our lovely members @Lilymary struggling like you before she had her hip done.

I hope you have contacted your surgeon's secretary offering to go on the list for a cancellation?? That can really help it has helped me twice get seen quicker.

You are absolutely not alone here if you do a search for hip and back pain this is what you get:

Hope that works....

and has anyone shown you this?

Take care and ((()))

Toni x

• MartinD
    MartinD Member Posts: 10

Thanks so much Toni,have an appointment to.see.my surgeon this Thursday, so fingers crossed for a date

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,745
    edited 15. Oct 2022, 12:33

Hi @MartinD , I'm sorry you're struggling so much, it sounds really hard for you. Pain can feel very isolating, that's one reason why I found this group so helpful - everyone on here understands how it feels. Keep posting, even if just to have a moan, we do get it.

I hope your appointment with the surgeon went well? I wonder if it would help you to see a physio to try to ease the sciatica, and maybe give you some exercises to help your knees, and talk through if there's anything you can try to make yourself more comfortable in bed. I used to take a couple of pain killers before I went to bed (I was on cocodamol and naproxen) as that would see me through till about 4am. I also experimented with cushions to keep my body in a position that supported my joints in the least painful position, if you get what I mean. Mine was a dodgy hip, but I really found it helped me.

• CliveClive
    CliveClive Member Posts: 28

Hi MartinD, I hope your news is good about an operation date. I would suggest to take whatever painkillers you can to get through the night. I find daylight eases pain if I'm up and about, but you need sleep to rest your body. Good luck.

• CliveClive
    CliveClive Member Posts: 28