Post surgery pain/discomfort

charbot19
charbot19 Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hello everyone-it's my first time to post a message and I hope I can get some advice.In 2020,after an arthritic "flare" in both knees,I was diagnosed with moderate osteo arthritis in left knee and right hip and severe in my right knee-all would need replacement sooner or later.I was 65 then.I had a right total knee replacement in April 2020.Op went well but rehab was hard and I was still getting right inner knee pain,which worsened in 2022.Had a right total hip replacement in April -so 2 surgeries within a year on same side.Although I have recovered well,I still have discomfort/tenderness on inner aspect of right knee ,especially when trying to get to sleep.Surgeon and physio say all is well.Just wondering about other people's experiences ,especially following knee surgery....generally speaking,my mobility is fine and I don't need any regular pain relief.Any comments/advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,186

Hello @charbot19 and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have a hip and knee replacement and ae wondering what other people's experiences were regarding recovery. You are in the right place and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their thoughts and experiences as well. In the meantime please have a look at our website which contains a lot of useful information which may be of some help. I've put a couple of links in below as a start.

Please do keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their thoughts and experiences as well.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• charbot19

Thanks for the welcome.Looking forward to hearing to other peoples experiences and advice.Just got back from my 1st swim in 6 months so a good start to the day.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,760

If my surgeon and physio said all was well I'd believe them. But I'd keep doing the exercises for that knee and try to be careful not to oVerdo things. Swimming is good but, being suppprted by the water, it could be all too easy to do too much too soon. Good luck with it all.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • charbot19

Thanks for that advice.I'm being careful with the swimming and everything else.It's six months since the hip replacement and 18 months since the knee replacement-as I said,both ops on the same side which ,naturally,takes a bit longer to recover fully.Actually,the hip feels good-it's the knee that's more bothersome although I'm definitely getting there!By the way,from my ownexperience,if anyone has been advised that they need a hip AND knee replacement,I would get the hip done first (depending of course on level of pain and disability) -it transpired after my knee replacement that a lot of the post op knee pain six months on was actually causèd by my worn out hip!!