hello and question

janisamiller
janisamiller Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hello.

Just joined because at my wits end. My dr has said he thinks i have arthritis of the sacroiliac joint although i have had no real investigations or scans. I have tried tablets for pain relief but the side effects are as bad as the pain so stopped the tablets ( 2 types). I have bought a sacroiliac belt which i think helps a bit and use a tens machine. I am only 68 and quite active and this is making me feel so old and is also affecting my sleep. Anyone got any advice please?

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 826
    edited 7. Oct 2022, 12:38

Hi @janisamiller

welcome to the online community,it is good to see you seeking and asking questions about your diagnosis by your GP of arthritis of the sacroiliac joint of which you have had no investigations or scans.

Your GP should have follow up in place after medication prescription to see how you get on check with the receptionist at the surgery she may know more. Your GP may be waiting for you to suggest investigations especially if as you say they have extreme side effects. If that doesnt work put another appointment on with the GP again so you can get satisfaction.

Lots of people do get pain relief from Tens machine ans sacroilliac belts but it doesnt solve the problem.

Here are a few links that may help.

Hope these links are ok and help a bit.Please keep in touch and tell us how you get on and do go online to our forums,everyone knows how you fell as we all have arthritis of some kind.

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Thank you for that. When i asked about a scan i was told that there was no point because scans are expensive and only done if there was an option of surgery which there isnt with sacroiliac joint!

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764

I'm not sure about this but I think a sacroiliac problem would show up on x-ray. These are much cheaper than MRIs or CTs. However, I'm not sure anything can be done with sacroiliacs.

I don't know what side effexts you got from which meds. A pharmacist might be able to advise there.

If you're unhappy about your appointment, try again with a different doc in the practice. You can see any. I find our nurses are very knowledgeable too.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright