Recent OA Hip diagnosis

Anyone have any miracle cures for the pain in my hip. I have severe arthritis after a fracture 7 years ago when i was 58. It's bone on bone now and crumbling. I am on waiting list for surgery,but it's a 52 week wait. Waited 7 months for a consultant appointment!

I take cocodamol and Naproxen with extra codeine if I need it, but nothing helps much.

It's so 😫

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,186

Hello @Doulajane and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that you will find that as well.

I understand that you have severe arthritis in your hip and are awaiting surgery, and that you are looking for ways to help your pain. Can I recommend having a look around the website as it contains a lot of useful information on arthritis, treatments and hints and tips. To help I've put a couple of links in below.

and for when you finally do get the replacement

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their thoughts and experiences as well.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,760

The links that Mod Peter gave you are really useful. Exercises, in particular, help keep the muscles strong and supporting the joint and make for a quicker recovery from surgery.

Painkillers (what a misnomer!) have their uses but are not a panacea. Try not to overdo things in the first place. Prevention is better than.....er...being unable to cure☺.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Jue
    Jue Member Posts: 6

I too had a hip fracture in 2016 on top of well established arthritis in my back & legs they fitted DHS but the pain in hip remained & left me on still on crutches the consultant blamed my arthritis for my continued hip pain I eventually got another scan which showed nerve damage in my hip socket so I got a full hip replacement in 2018 unfortunately since covid everything stopped , I'm under the pain clinic at the hospital which I'd recommend if you aren't already & I love my heat bag & also my knee pillow takes a bit of pressure off .