medicine info

Melo321
Melo321 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

hello everyone my name is Melanie iv been on hydroxychloroquine since January 2022 and been told i need to go on to another medicine to take as well but im taking so many medicines plus my allergies just do not no which one to try with hydroxychloroquine then theirs the side affects tried methotrexate but had bad side affects from them can anyone tell me weather their is one that does not give side affects and hopefully i can take with all my other medicines.

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,186

Hello @Melo321 and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope you will experience that as well.

You are asking about medications and side effects. We are not medically trained so cannot offer an opinion on which medication is best, you need to discuss that with your GP or Consultant. It is safe to say though that we all suffer different side effects and what suits one person may not suit another. I am sure though that others will share their experiences with you which might help. Also have a look at the following from our website

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure others will share their thoughts and experiences as well and I hope you can get your medication sorted.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,760

I don't think there are any meds ever invented that can be guaranteed free from side effects. But most people don't experience them otherwise they would not be approved.

Tour rheumatologist is the best person to asvise you. Tell him/her what allergies you have and what other meds you are on for other conditions. Plus anything herbal or over the counter things.

We're all different and what suits one person doesn't suit another. I've happily been on methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine for years along with meds for asthma, GORD and high B P. No problems.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,772

I'm on a similar combo to @stickywicket and have minimal side effects.

One of those drugs above is what they'll want you on most likely Melanie.

Hopefully something will suit you better and work for you. Sad to say what works for one won't necessarily work for someone else so it's a bit of a case of trial and error.

Best of luck

Do post when you decide what to take and we'll support you all we can

Toni x

• Bal
    Bal Member Posts: 8

Hi is the hydroxchlooroquine for RA?

I've been given it the side effect put me off to be honest..

thank you