Ankle swelling

Hello all,

I'm currently having a flare with my left ankle. It's been up and down for 3weeks now. I've been to the Dr to check nothing else is going on and they did blood tests. The bloods came back all within normal range and no increased inflamation, so no steroids required or prescribed. Just advised to carry on with naproxen to help reduce swelling.

What I don't understand though, is that if nothing else showed up in my blood work ie liver/kidney problems etc and I've had no injury it must be an RAflare. But if this is so then why doesn't it show in my bloods? 🤔

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,772

No idea @gemz10

I've wondered this before somehow sometimes you can feel really rough and yet the bloods show all is well🙄

I don't know how long you've had RA but for some of us we also have Osteoarthritis now too which definitely seems to be invisible in our bloods.

I know I usually put ice in a tea-towel and elevating my leg(s) as well as if if I do some gentle range of movement exercises.

Take care I hope it goes down soon.

Toni xx

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,468

I've had OA for about 60+ years and had countless blood tests, all 'normal' and because of RA affecting my lungs, I suddenly find myself off to the rheumy in a couple of days time, still with 'normal' blood tests. Zero negative? The truth is a bit like the 'X-files', it s out there somewhere!

The two issues you talk about may not necessarily be connected? don't stress, it'll all come out in the wash!

its a grin, honest!

• gemz10
    gemz10 Member Posts: 41

Thanks. I shall definitely try some ice. I've had RA for 12 years and take methotrexate, cimzia and hydroxychloroquine. It usually all works well but this ankle is being a pain right now. Luckily other swellings and aches etc don't usually last so long in one particular joint, just keeps moving from one joint to the next.