Should I cancel my rescheduled hip replacement surgery?

Options

Hello everyone

My right total hip replacement operation got cancelled on 3/10/22 as the surgeon tested positive for Covid-19. I was secretly relieved. Maybe it was the benefit of walking more on holiday in early Sept or the physical effort of organising the house for post-op living 😆, but my hip has been less painful and stiff this last month and I'm starting to doubt whether I should be having the operation yet.

I've read a lot of information since, including posts on here and a surgeon's article saying hip replacement should be the last resort after increasing pain medication and using aids like walking sticks, which I haven't done. The xray last year showed severe osteoarthritis, bone on bone, and I wonder if that grinding could have removed the labral tear injury that started this process back in 2004 which caused the sharpest pain. I do feel a bit of fraud now, as I'm sure there are people in much worse pain than me who could benefit more from my op slot. Winter cold and damp will probably worsen it, but I am determined to exercise more to combat this. I don't want to have risky surgery (I've had a blood clot before and family history of strokes ...) if I don't need it. Should I try to discuss this with the surgeon I've only spoken to once briefly??

Has anyone else taken themselves off a waiting list as their hip pain has improved?

Comments

• CCM
    CCM Member Posts: 113
    Options

You are not a fraud. This is real to you. Many patients find that increased activity and concenration on a project takes their mind off pain.

I suggest that you have a frank discussion with your consultant, expalining your concerns and how to feel and hoefully come to a conclusion that suits you.

CCM

• CCM
    CCM Member Posts: 113
    Options