Steroid injection for thumb arthritis

I’m seeing my consultant next week and there is the possibility of having a steroid injection for thumb osteoarthritis. This would be my first one, I know I can only have a limited number of injections before progression to surgery.

I’m not sure that my pain is severe enough yet to warrant the injection - I’m hoping to delay an inevitable trapeziectomy as long as possible (I want to retain hand function as long as possible). However the idea of being pain free for a time definitely appeals.

I wondered what other people’s experiences have been with regard to steroid injection into hands for arthritis and pain control? How do you know when it’s time? My consultant said I would know and because I’m still dithering makes me think it’s not time yet.

Comments

• Kate45
    Kate45 Member Posts: 11

Hi ,

I tried steroid injections when I had to adapt and give up my allotment and pace chores at home , unfortunately they did nothing for me and didn’t work but for some people they are pain free for months after injections.

• I’ve had 3 or 4 injections in my middle fingers and they work well and were really not bad to get done, they anxiety of the wait was much worse and the rheumatologist made them out to be much more painfull to get… for me it was just like a pin prick feeling

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 698

Hi @EleanorJP

A year before I was diagnosed with PsA I was diagnosed with trigger finger in the 2nd and 3rd fingers of my left hand. In November 2020 - six days after my PsA diagnosis - I saw an orthopaedics consultant who gave me steroid injections at the base of both fingers. The procedure was simple and like @simonjcelliot I didn't find it painful at all. It's only in the last few months that my fingers are beginning to bother me again.