Consultants

Options

Just had a visit to the rheummy, he said he wasn’t convinced by the consultant who referred me and all older people have arthritis, at this point he lost my attention. I pointed out that I have had aches and pains since I was young, all I got was a ‘hrrrmmmm!’

So I left after a few minutes of his time and a suggestion to get some more painkillers, oh and a ultrasound on my hands.

The consultants attitude was abrupt to the point of rudeness, not listening to the answers I gave, he had made up his mind that the reason for my being sent along to him was ‘inconclusive’ so there we go, seronegative till the end I shall be. Fed up? Yes but more with attitude than result, I have long accepted I must suffer pain and be further away from life because of it. Positives? Just jumped another hurdle, no more for a while?

it’s a grin, honest!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

@airwave , you're having a rough, indecisive time.

I believe you said you'd been referred to rheumatology because of a lung problem. Am I right? I know you've long been diagnosed with OA which doesn't mean that RA can't rock up too. Even if it as always RA then, after all these years without DMARDS, you'd also have extensive OA.

The CT scan is a good plan, though. I think it's more revealing than an x-ray and I believe the damage caused by RA is different.

Keep on grinning. You know you're an expert at dealing with life's setbacks.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options

Oh @airwave how very very frustrating.

He sounded to be sticking to the widespread OA theory🙄

I do know though that ultrasounds of our hands can be very useful if you have been misdiagnosed because they show inflammation quite well. If it shows inflammation he will have to rethink his opinion.

Sending ((()))

Toni x

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options

Sorry for that just sometimes frustration shows through, just as well the cat kept out of the way! On the bright side my life hasn’t changed.

its a grin, honest!

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406
    Options

Hi @airwave ,

I understand how you feel completely, I had a Pulmonary embolism a few weeks ago, in A&E they said after several hours to go to SDEC I was told I was walking although I couldn’t breathe and my arthritis was bad they just told to walk around the hospital then b4 I had the scan I told the doc it was a PE he said hmm I’m the doctor then he said it could be more sinister am I prepared for that news following a ct scan, after he called me in and said “you were right” a PE! Even on the discharge papers it states suspected pulmonary embolism and I sometimes wonder if anyone knows what they’re doing or if they even care tbh

I do hope you get things sorted and I’m glad you’ve got a great sense of humour

• Littlesunflower
    Options

I honestly think that to be a doctor on any level, there needs to be some empathy and compassion involved. All we want is a little understanding from those who are professional and can help us. OA is a painful and lonely illness, a little kindness helps us a lot….I wish you the very best..Jan 🤗🤗

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460
    Options

Hi @Littlesunflower

welcome to the online community. I am sure we would all share your opinions about osteoarthritis being painful and lonely which is why getting support here is so important. Please ask as many questions as you like

Best wishes

Sharon

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options

I’ve been on here certainly from the early naughties and posted many times but RA is new to me and having to know about it at least. I have just read the letter sent to my GP and there is talk of ‘Connective Tissue Disease’ which of course RA is one of the ones under the terms umbrella, we shall have to wait and see?

its a grin, honest!