Vacuum & cleaning

Options
Nette02
Nette02 Member Posts: 12
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone, hope you are all keeping well and may be a strange question but I’m trying to adapt and make the general domestic chores easier.

im struggling with an upright Dyson I’ve been given. It’s heavy and hurts my hands. I’ve got an old cylinder which does an ok job but hurts my back. Ideally I wouldn’t have to do the hoovering but realistically I have no choice like most of us.

my question is…….has anyone else come up again such issues and have found a hoover that is kinder to use and doesn’t result in being in pain for hours after?

any advise is appreciated. Thanks all

Comments

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

I find a long pipe on a cylinder vacuum is best for my back as I can stand fairly upright and it doesn't require much effort to push and pull. Interestingly my partner finds an upright vacuum cleaner is better for her back. We both only do short sessions of vacuuming. Both our vacuum cleaners are fairly old and there are now lighter models available.

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,038
    Options

Hello @Nette02 you can get lightweight vacuum cleaners, just search on the internet. We have been using Orecks for years now, but there are other makes as well.

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options

I got my Bosch cordless and lightweight several years ago and, when it needs replacing, will get another. I was allowed to try it out in the local shop so I knew it'd work for me. I'd never go back to corded ones.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Elainech13
    Options

I have a lightweight Shark upright that doesn’t hurt my back but it does need emptying more often.