Arthritis in right hip

Options
Carambo
Carambo Member Posts: 1
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hello.

I have just joined your group. I have osteoarthritis . I had a left hip replacement almost five years ago which gave me my life back got a while, but the last couple of years my right hip has gotten worse. Pain in my groin, buttock, hip and knee is now more painful than my left ever was. I had an x ray and now waiting on an out patient appointment. Naproxen worked for me most of the time but I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and ended up with a rash due to the BP meds and Naproxin. I'm now on Amitriptyline 30mg. the pain especially groin and knee can really stop me in my tracks. I retired early and try to do aqua aerobics. Pilates, and therapeutic yoga every week.

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,038
    edited 17. Oct 2022, 10:26
    Options

Hello @Carambo and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that you will experience that as well.

I understand that you have osteoarthritis in your hips and are now prescribed Amitriptyline. Have you had a look at our website , it contains a lot of useful information. To help I've put a couple of links in below.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their thoughts and experiences as well.

With very best wishes, Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

Are you able to take any other pain meds? Eg paracetamol, cocodamol etc? I found amitriptylene and naproxen weren’t enough on their own. Obviously talk this through with your GP or rheumatologist. These kept me (just about) functioning while waiting for my new hip. You might also find it helpful to use a stick to get around. Again, I couldn’t manage without one while waiting for surgery. Whatever it takes to keep going....