Awaiting bilateral knee surgery

I'm 64 awaiting the above. Had pain for over 4 years but on the waiting list 18 months as they have got so bad -bone on bone. In the last few weeks I'm in terrible pain can hardly walk. Affecting back and hips and thighs. I'm trying to steer clear of NSAIDS and walking sticks. Is this normal to be in so much pain everywhere else? I'm not overweight and a healthy eater. Swim 3 times a week. Trying to keep moving is painful.

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 983

Hello @Pol and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you are on the waiting list for a bilateral knee surgery and currently in a lot of pain. i hope that you get your surgery soon. Have a look through the following links from our website which might be of some use.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will share their thoughts and support as well.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

My experience is that the pain is normal but I don't understand why you're trying to avoid the walking aids which would enable you to walk in a more natural position and so, probably, remove some of the pain. Many of us swear by them. You'll certainly need them post op for a while.

Are you having both knees done at once? It's not very common but @Helenbothknees had that op some time ago, very successfully. I had mine about 3 months apart. Again, very successfully. Exercises and rest are the key, I feel. Good luck.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

I agree, there’s nothing to be gained by avoiding pain relief meds and walking aids. When my hip packed up I couldn't have managed without either if I wanted to keep functioning, and I wanted to keep functioning, so I threw back the pills sufficient to get me through the day (and night) and got my stick out. It was better than being in agony and housebound.

But As @stickywicket says, you need to schedule in rest after a tough day, and I don’t mean the odd hour here and there, I mean sufficient rest time to let the inflammation in your knees settle (If I knew I had a heavy day coming, I’d schedule in a day or two to recover - OA can also be surprisingly exhausting - you should never push yourself till your batteries run out, as it will take much longer to recover). Also, start doing some knee-specific exercises (there are some good ones on this site) to help build up the muscles that support your knee joint. Stick at it too, it will be a long time before you see the benefit, and you’ve got nothing to lose.

If you’re worried about people’s reactions to you using sticks? I found people to be surprisingly kind and helpful. It was incredibly touching, and quite unexpected. I even got let off a parking ticket when I rocked up late in a one hour parking zone wobbling about with my stick! I almost miss it! 😅

• Loggiemod
    Loggiemod Member Posts: 218

When I was struggling once I took a stick to the airport for support in the queue and a nice kind security person fasttracked me through! A few years ago now, I think it was Manchester. I keep thinking I should take a stick every time I travel, you never know.

• Jules70
    Jules70 Member Posts: 65

Hi pol I have had bilateral knee replacements during the past 20 months but I didn’t have them both together.I was diagnosed with Oesteoarthiritis of the knee over 4 years ago has had a big impact on my life I’m 52.

I was initially fobbed off by my local NHS hospital for 2 years who told me I wasn’t a candidate for knee replacement due to my age.I was initially put on list in 2020 for knee replacement after my mobility deteriorated got re-referred back to hospital after X-rays showed bone on bone .waited over year due to covid was getting nowhere so my GP referred me to spire hospital under nhs .saw consultant there told me I would need both knees replaced as both were bone on bone I had restricted mobility had to give up full time work .

I was on cocodamol naproxen beforehand they did nothing to help with pain so I completely understand the pain you’re in .I used crutches before my surgery .Arthritis changes your gait way you walk but it will correct itself after the surgery .it’s mentally tough having surgery rehab is hard work but results are so worth it .I’m 21 and 15 months after surgery can walk over 9000 steps a day