Ideas for pain relief and carrying on as normal please

Options

Hi - I'm a 58 year old female who was told last week that I have arthritis in both hips and my left shoulder. I also have a condition called bursitis in my left hip as well. To be honest, I am waiting for blood test results as I am not convinced that arthritis is my only issue. The pains in my legs have steadily been getting worse over the last few months but I have put this down to my age and being overweight. I'm so depressed as I used to walk 10 miles daily with my dogs and now can barely get as far as my garden gate without being in pain. The doctor told me to just continue with paracetamol and ibuprofen as the earlier they give prescribed medication for arthritis, the more and more I will need as it becomes ineffective when the condition progresses. I did explain that I would value something to help so I can at least get out one day a week at the weekend with my husband as I work from home and never go out otherwise. But the over-the-counter medication doesn't help in the slightest. I just feel that I have been robbed of the life I once had and can't see how I can continue like this. All I do is work from home and potter about the house doing my housework etc. Is there anything else I could try if the doctor won't prescribe me anything? I have tried all the rubs/gels I can think of - voltarol, deep heat, green lipped mussel gel, cocodamol tablets, panadol etc....thank you.

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 974
    Options

Hello @cox1058 and welcome to the online community,

You've just been diagnosed with arthritis (I'm presuming osteoarthritis?) in your hips and shoulder plus bursitis in your left hip as well. It's understandable that you are feeling depressed at the moment, especially since you are being prevented from continuing your previously active life, and the medication that your doctor advises doesn't help with the pain.

It might be worthwhile speaking to your doctor again and asking to be referred to a pain clinic. There, a variety of medical professionals will look at your medication and also consider other ways to combat your pain, including gentle exercise, relaxation techniques and some alternative therapies.

Other members may suggest ways that have helped them deal with their pain that you might like to consider. You could take a look at the Versus Arthritis website - there's a page that specifically discusses pain management:

You also might be interested to read the page on alternative treatments:

Do let us know how you're getting on,

Anna (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• jogo
    jogo Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hello @cox1058

That sounds very familiar. I have just been diagnosed with OA in hips and spine. I also felt that I had other leg issues e.g. potential groin strain. I think in my case this has been weak muscles around my hips and groin. I'm now doing targeted physio exercises and the strength is slowly returning. I'm hopeful that this will in turn help my pain levels and mobility. I'm also a keen walker (female 49) and would like to get back on track. I have just started taking Rosehip extract as I've heard via this website that this can sometimes help. I also purchased some elasticated leg supports (when I thought I had groin strain) and these did seem to help me walk a bit further while I built up the muscles. I'm thinking about investing in walking poles. Hope this helps you. Best Wishes.

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 974
    Options

Hello @jogo!

Sorry to interrupt your thread @cox1058 , but I just want to give a quick welcome to @jogo who has just joined.

Thank you for posting such a helpful and supportive post as your first - I'm sure you'll fit in with all our other helpful and friendly members.

You are so right - Exercise has such an important part to play in our efforts to deal with pain and keep mobile. If you want a few more hip exercises to add to your programme, here are a few recommended by Versus Arthritis:

Looking forward to reading more of your posts,

Anna (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

I've had many years of arthritis and, for my money 'carrying on as normal' is not the way to go. It's a recipe for disaster as we push our beleaguered joints too hard. We have to find new ways, not just of 'going' but also of enjoying.

By being forced to give up things I've had to find other fun things to replace them or, of doing the original things a different way. When walking became difficult I took up Riding for the Disabled and had some great times. When my orthopaedic surgeon decided that was a bit iffy for my replaced joints, Mr SW and I began our 'wheelchair walks' where I walked some and rode some. There are some lovely river/canal/woodland paths that are suitable.

Pills and potions have their uses but, for me, exercises and laughter do far more. Have a think about what you'd like to do that you never have done. Look ahead with anticipation not backwards with regret.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright