Methotrexate side effects

Options
sarah66rice
sarah66rice Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

I’ve been taking methotrexate for 2 years now with few side effects apart from nausea. However, I’ve noticed my hair is thinning - is this something that’s likely to get worse over time ? Anyone else had issues with thinning/ losing hair on methotrexate ? I’m a 56 year old teacher with long hair and it sounds silly but it’s really bothering me.

Comments

• MammaBuckz
    MammaBuckz Moderator Posts: 38
    Options

Hey @sarah66rice

Welcome to our Online Community. Here you'll find a helpful bunch of people of varying ages, all with some form of arthritis.

You mentioned your hair is starting to thin after being on methotrexate for a couple of years, and I can completely understand why it is bothering you.

Unfortunately, all drugs have side effects, and hair thinning/loss is a common side effect of methotrexate. Although the hair thinning/loss tends to be mild and doesn't necessarily get worse, it can be different for everyone. However, once methotrexate is stopped the hair thinning and loss tends to stop too, so it may be worth speaking to your rheumatologist to discuss alternative treatments, if it concerns you. I've included the link to methotrexate on our website, that I thought you might find useful.

Please feel free to let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Mamma Buckz - Moderator

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Hairobsessed123
    Options

I had thinning of hair and my hair is fine anyway !

i spoke to rhumatology nurse and she upped my folic acid to everyday except methotrexate day ! Hair is back to normal now x