Coming off steroids!

Options
Jamie78
Jamie78 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

hi all, new to the group πŸ‘‹44 yo male recently diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis and on week 8 of Methotrexate and coming off Prednisone after a few months. Is it common to get a flare of the pain/skin symptoms whilst steroids wear off and DMARDS not fully kicked in? Thanks for any advice.. Jamie

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,022
    Options

Hello @Jamie78 and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that you will find that as well.

I understand that you recently been diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis and taking methotrexate. A lot of folk on here talk about getting flare ups and some have skin irritation, but if in any doubt consult with your GP. I've put a couple of links in below which might also help.

Please take a look and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their thoughts and experiences as well. Please also keep on posting and let us know how you are getting on

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

In short, yes, unfortunately. It's very common.

If it's a big(gish) problem I'd suggest you contact your rheumatology people and ask if you can reduce more slowly. This can make it all much easier. But don't try a DIY job as steroids are not to be messed with. Good luck and let's know how it goes.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 717
    Options

Hi @Jamie78

Just after I was diagnosed with PsA I was also diagnosed with pneumonia and hospitilised. They put me on a high dose of prednisolone which worked well in calming down the pneumonia and the pain from the PsA . When I was discharged they put me on a reducing prescription of prednisolone - 20mgs to start and I think it dropped 2.5mgs every 5-7 days. However symptoms returned a number of times and each time they ramped back up the dose and then let it tail off again. I ended up on prednisolone for nearly 6 months with a kind of saw tooth graph of the dosage. Maybe it's worth a call to your GP or rheumatology clinic if your flare is painful to see if they can regulate the dose.

• Jamie78
    Jamie78 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thanks for the advice, I think I will do that next week! Have a good weekend..