New Member. Osteoarthritis which has worsened considerably.

Options
2travellers
2travellers Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone! I’ve had osteoarthritis since my thirties (now 77]. It has recently flared considerably even making walking difficult. I’ve started to use a wheeled walker. Most joints and spine are affected. I’ve had two hip replacements but had to postpone a knee replacement for at least 6 months due to getting a DVT behind my knee in August. How do other sufferers cope with the depression that comes with the continual pain and lack of mobility?

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,022
    Options

Hello @2travellers and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that you will find that as well.

I understand that you have had osteoarthritis for a long time but that it as recently got worse and that you are waiting for a knee replacement. I also understand that this is getting you down. You are in the right place for support as, as a community we are all here for each other, and also we know the kind of things you are going through. Our website also has a lot of useful information and I've put a couple of links in below which might be of use.

and also we have a Helpline who are there during office hours

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their thoughts and experiences as well.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Christine164
    Options

Hi. Thought I’d reply as I’m a new member too. I joined yesterday.my suggestions for low mood re arthritis and immobility are : 1. counselling ( really helps to talk about it). 2. Learn a new skill maybe online. Takes your mind off it a bit. I’m learning German online. 3. crochet / jigsaws / art. All helps to distract my thoughts.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

I agree, distraction is a great tool for dealing with arthritis. And exercises. I also try to ensure a good supply of daily laughs.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Manningj
    Manningj Member Posts: 13
    Options

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my hip six months ago. It is depressing - it’s true. I’m in my early 50s and I’ve had to stop running. I was even blamed by the NHS Advanced Physio that running had caused it. I have now been referred to a consultant to be put on the list for a hip replacement. I am on painkillers day and night. Aside from those, the one thing that has helped relieve pain for me is PEMF. It’s Pulsed Electro Magnetic Firld treatment. It has changed my life as I’m still able to work full time as a teacher. I hope you can find something to help you soon.