Dull pain following hip operation

Options
CliveClive
CliveClive Member Posts: 28
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Sorry to bother folks but I feel in the dark about what I'm going through. I'm now 6 weeks post hip operation, still on crutches and getting dull pain in hip/over scar. I do stretch and walk maybe 10-30 mins. However, I really lack sleep. Take pain killers before bed but only manage maybe an hour sleep before waking due to discomfort. I find getting up and moving helps. I watch tv and then try again to sleep. Maybe then sleep 2/3 hours if lucky. Lack of sleep is really bothering me now. I can't go on. Been following this ridiculous routine for 6 weeks now and over last 2 years my sleep has been interrupted. Is this normal due to the operation and muscles settling down? Or is it something to worry about? Anyone had similar experiences? Please help.

Comments

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

Hi @CliveClive I had my hip op just over a year ago and if I remember correctly at 6 weeks I was in a similar position and was having to get up three times a night. I found walking around for 5 minutes would settle the discomfort and I could then go back to bed.

During the day I found it best to get up every hour to walk around the house for a few minutes. Also I was going out walking three times a day for gradually increasing distances and speed and at 6 weeks I stopped using a walking stick but I was still a bit unsteady and walking slowly. Also I found doing exercises three times a day helped.

It's a major operation and recovery takes time and I did need to put a lot of effort into building up the muscles and exercise to help the muscles settle down. It does gradually get better and by 3 months after the operation I was definitely in better shape and by 12 months my left hip is more or less back to normal.

However, everyone is different. I started and contributed regularly to a post "Hip replacement tips" in the "Say hello" section of this forum https://community.versusarthritis.org/discussion/55224/hip-replacement-tips/p1 Some others also posted regular updates on their experiences and progress which does paint an interesting picture of how different the recovery process can be.

• CliveClive
    Options

Thanks @RogerBill for the encouragement and the link for more information. I was Kind of feeling alone and annoyed with progress. I feel that I have been sold the 'normal recovery rates, and the magic 6weeks! I can't walk without crutches and the constant dull pain in my backside is really annoying. I know that it's due to lack of strength and exerice will improve all but I feel it's just me. I'm encourage that there is light at the end of a distant tunnel.

• Sueyluey
    Sueyluey Member Posts: 6
    Options

Thanks for posting I have now got a date for my hip replacement 21st November feeling a bit overwhelmed about it but also looking forward to getting out of all the pain.. I have been trying to do exercises for pre op but causes so much pain I have lost muscle in my leg worried about what is to come to get the muscles working..! Just have to work hard on the physio afterwards..

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,022
    Options

Hi @Sueyluey have a look through the following which I hope is of some use

Good luck for a speedy recovery

Best Wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• CliveClive
    Options

Hi @Sueyluey, how did the op go? Are you on the mend?

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,463
    Options

Morning @CliveClive

I think getting enough sleep after surgery is definitely the hardest part. Without adequate sleep it is so tough to get through the day or see light at the end of the tunnel.

All I can say is it really should settle in time.

The magic 6 weeks has never been magic for me either.🙄

Bear with it all should be well in time ((()))

Toni x