Motorcyclist living with arthritis in thoracic spine

Options
Hoodie
Hoodie Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi

I'm 58, 5'8", 12.5 stone and quite fit and active. After struggling with pain in the middle of my back for months I was advised by a Physio to get an x ray to see if I had Arthritis. She identified that I had Kyphosis in my upper thoracic spine and felt there was very little movement in it. I got the x ray and the accompanying report stated that there were signs of osteophyte development and degenerative disease. I kept exercising in the form of mountain biking and stuck to a program of simple stretches suggested by the physio. After six months of relative comfort the problem has reoccurred and I've had three weeks of pain and poor sleep. I think this was triggered by off road motorcycling which has been my main hobby since childhood. I suspect the stresses that are placed on my back by suspension compression through my legs and the strain of pushing, pulling and twisting transferred through the handlebars and my arms are the problem. Is this anything any of you have experience of and if so have you any advice? I'm feeling like this is something I may have to give up before I make things worse but I'm not happy at the prospect. Do I have a choice?

I also would welcome advice on pain management. I once had Anaphylactic shock that was thought to have been triggered by Bruffen so I am advised to avoid NSAID's. All I have is Paracetamol or cocodamol which seem to have a similar effect and only give partial relief. What works best and is going to be sustainable over time?

Thanks.

Comments

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460
    Options

Hi @Hoodie

welcome to the online community it is lovely to have you here. Sorry to read that you have been diagnosed with osteophyte development and degenerative disease, this must have been difficult for you.

It is good that you already have a physio who has given you exercises and that they have helped in the past. If possible it would be useful to discuss with them your suspiscion that this latest experience of pain seems linked to your off road motor cycling.

Here is a section on back pain generally which might be useful

There are lots of different pain killers out there and finding the ones that suit you most is going to be about being persistant with your GP. There are other things you can do like exercise and keeping as fit as possible, it all helps. It is most likely going to be a combination of things that help in the end. Here is a section on pain management for you to read

Our community has a wealth of experience which I am sure they will share with you

Best Wishes

Sharon

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

What works best is a very inďividual thing. You çould discuss this with your GP. As for the motorbikè offroading making things worse. It could bè. It's often the things we love and therefore overdo. Maybe a good physio could help you strengthen the necessary supporting muscles. That might make a difference.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright