Osteoarthritis

Options
larojess
larojess Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone,

I have severe OA I am 57 years old.

I had my first knee replacement on my Rt Knee at age 38 since then I have had 21 operations on it and am on my 8 th yes 8 th total / partial knee replacement and this one is already loose !!!!

I had my Lt Knee replaced at age 43 yrs - this one is doing better and is still going strong 14 years later .

I have advanced OA in my Rt Elbow and had surgery in September - open Arthrolysis and removal of the radial head … I will probably end up with an Elbow replacement……

I also have confirmed OA in other joints, shoulders, fingers wrists and feet…. 

I have had a pretty horrible time - and am in constant pain - and have had probably all pain relief possible from Paracetamol to - spinal cord stimulators .

I am an ex nurse / midwife and miss work terribly. I now work a few hours at the local Drs surgery.

I would like to say that it is possible to have a life with severe OA .. I am now 57 and yes not living the life that I would love - Skiing/ Fell walking .

It is hard to keep positive and yes some days it is hard getting out of bed and at times I get very low.

But try and keep positive everyone ….

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,633
    Options

Hello @larojess A very warm welcome to the Oline Community.

It must be tough to be missing such a rewarding, but physically demanding career as nursing and midwifery. Well done keeping your hand in with a few hours work at the Drs surgery though.

I hope you'll find this community a good place to be. Many of our members are less able to do the activities they once enjoyed, but have found other ways to enjoy life. Chatting to them giving and receiving support and sharing tips can be really helpful. Your own experience with surgery could be really helpful for someone facing it themselves.

Now I hope I'm not overstepping the mark by linking you into some of our gentle stretching exercises? I hope not, but feel free to ignore the link if you think it's not for you:

Now that you've introduced yourself maybe you'd like to take a look around the forum and join in elsewhere? Living with Arthritis tends to be the most popular category.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• Littlesunflower
    Options

Hi Lorijess. Thank you for encouraging us to keep going. You are so right, however hard it gets and we all know how hard that can be, a positive attitude is so important. I hope things go ok for you… take care….Bella x🌹