Hello I'm a newby

Options
Hippie
Hippie Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hello I've just joined today . I'm a young 63yr old & suffered with mainly my left hip OA for over 3yrs but its got much worse in the last 12 months & I was recently put on my consultants waiting list approx 6months fingers crossed 🤞. Today I'm at a bit of a low & feeling tearful & like my body doesn't belong to me ! Im sure ill be fine tomo ! I take Codydramol & Naproxen & started using a walking stick .Someday the simplest of tasks seem so hard .I do have good family/friends network but I do selfishly find myself asking the question Why Me !

I guess I'm just looking for encouragement/ideas to help with pain etc . By the way I'm totally freaked out at having the Op but needs must !

Thanks for listening to me .👋

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 968
    Options

Hello @Hippie and welcome to the online community,

You've been put on the list for a hip replacement op after living with hip pain for three years. It's understandable that you'll have days of feeling low and tearful and also feel worried about the hip operation to come.

You've made a great move by joining the community - all our members have experienced living with some form of arthritis and many with hip arthritis. I'm sure there will be some who'll come along and share their stories and suggestions for help with pain.

Here's a recent thread started by someone who like yourself was a bit worried about the op she was about to have. Have a look at some of the responses and join in the conversation if you feel comfortable:

The VA website has got some good suggestions for gentle stretches and other ideas that may help you with the pain. Here's the link:

All the best, and do let us know how you're getting on,

Anna (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options

Welcome to the not so wonderful world of arthritis! Yes, we have good days and bad days even when surounded by kind people. Try not to fear operationß, though. They havè made major differences (good ones!) to many of us,on here. Meanwhile, just learn tro live with it. Do the exercises and distract yourself with whatever worķs for you. Take up something new. And talk to us on here☺

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Hippie
    Hippie Member Posts: 3
    Options

Many thanks for your kind words of encouragement! Feeling better today & keeping busy 😀👍

• stickywicket
    Options

Good. But maybe not too busy. Listen to your body. It's annoying but needs must.

Steven Wright
  • Susanlunn3
    Options

Hi I'm a newbie and joined today so hi everyone.

I have degenerative osteo arthritis in both feet and had surgery last year to help right foot which hasn't healed so I have been put on waiting list for surgery to remove screws as pain is unbelievable, it was scheduled for November, then December and today have been told January. To complicate things I found a lump in my breast couple of months ago but have not done anything about it as really want my foot surgery but now it's been put back again what should I do?

Sue

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 680
    Options

Hi @Susanlunn3 (Sue),

Welcome to the versus arthritis forum. 

You have OA in your feet which, post-op is causing you severe pain. You await further surgery but this keeps getting delayed. This must be very frustrating for you. In addition, you have recently found a lump in your breast. 

I don’t know what if any pain relief you are taking but these links to our website may be useful:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis/ 

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis-oa-of-the-foot-and-ankle/ 

As regards the lump in your breast, my personal view is that you should contact your doctor as soon as possible as delaying doing so could potentially prove to be something you may regret. You may find that this allays any concerns that you may have and if you do need some treatment then this wouldn’t necessarily impact the timescale for your foot surgery. 

I hope that you receive some useful thoughts from forum members and that your foot surgery is not further postponed. 

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Jewels
    Jewels Member Posts: 202
    Options

Hi @Susanlunn3 I had a lump in my breast a few years ago and it was a fibroadenoma so luckily it wasn't the dreaded C I would go and have it looked at so at least that is one thing out of the way for you hope you get it sorted soon 🤞xx

• stickywicket
    Options

As one who had a mastectomy, many, many years ago, I, too, would urge you to prioritise the lump. I'm sure the foot is more painful but they clearly don't see it as urgent so it could be even further delayed. The lump might be something or nothing but it does need checking asap. Let's know how you get on with both.

Steven Wright