Just about to have hip replacement

Options
ellyb39
ellyb39 Member Posts: 14
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hello, I am of course terrified but tonight the pain in my hip was horrible so realise it has to be done.I go in on Friday .I wonder how this operation will help when it seems as if the pain from the hip leads to pains in my hands toes knees all seem to throb in sympathy.

I am quite mobile otherwise . I swim each day and try to walk but nothing like I was walking a year ago.it’s all rather worrying .

Comments

• CliveClive
    CliveClive Member Posts: 28
    Options

Hi @ellyb39, sorry to hear about the pain. You are not alone. I'm 6 weeks post operation for hip replacement now. We all feel pain differently. I don't have pain in the same area now, as hip is replaced but there are knock-ons of pain relating to the procedure. Hopefully these will subside with time and there's lots of positives to this effect on this site. Look to the positives. The pain used to make me cry and hence the operation was a must. Good luck for Friday.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

Hey, just enjoy it! I have two THRs as does my husband. All good. You might find other bits improve post op as there's less pressure on them but, at least you'll haVe a good hip. ☺

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Christine164
    Options

Hi , I had my hip replacement 6yrs ago and wow I forget that I’ve had it. I’m totally pain free, and carried on Nursing for another 5 yrs afterwards. I understand your anxiety. I’m haveing an ankle replacement next Thursday , and I know I’ll be feeling much like you this time next week. Wishing you all the best in your recovery.

Chris

• Helpmate
    Helpmate Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hello,

Any suggestions on managing hip pain before replacement surgery?

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 680
    Options

Hi @Helpmate  

Welcome to the versus arthritis forum.

You have an upcoming hip operation and would like some tips on managing the pain pre-op. 

Hopefully this article will provide some relevant advice: 

Also, here’s some post-op information which you may find useful:

No doubt you have already done so but in terms of identifying the most appropriate medication for pain relief, you doctor should be able to advise. 

I hope that you receive some useful feedback from forum members and that your op and recovery goes well. 

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• ellyb39
    Options

Thanks for encouraging comments. I had the operation on Friday, was a bit rough on sat and sunday with the drugs not the procedure. I cannot take anything morphine based. Once i stopped taking those have improved dramatically. Not too much pain and walking and up stairs, walking down the road a little way will try to increase it each day. Hope you are all ok too.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options

Well done you @ellyb39

You are doing so well! I am really impressed. 😊

Keep posting, the good and bad, it all helps prepare people for their own surgeries.

Take care

Toni x

• CliveClive
    CliveClive Member Posts: 28
    Options

@ellyb39 Glad to hear the hip operation went well. A great piece of advice I picked up was - remember recovery is a marathon and not a sprint. Do what you feel you can do. Good luck.

• ellyb39
    Options

Thanks for encouraging comments, day 10 now. Walked each day, and now starting some exercise to strengthen muscles, pain reduced but still taking paracetamol. Wound was running clear fluid until yesterday, go on Thursday to have plasters taken off. Swelling helped by ice and heat. All improving.

• frogmorton
    Options

Up at 2.22am though @ellyb39 takes ages for our sleeping patterns to return to normal post op doesn't it?

You'll get there though.

How exciting dressings off on Thursday that's another milestone.

You are doing so well👏

Toni x

• ellyb39
    Options

Hi a quick update .so day 16 now .feeling so much better.can walk without stick but take it with me outside.minimal pain. 2 paracetamol yesterday.went to restaurant last night .have had 2 nights sleeping all through.still feels a bit alien but getting used to it.foot still black bruised and under knee swollen .need my afternoon nap!

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

Great to hear you’re feeling so well. While you feel you “can” walk without a stick, that doesn’t mean you should. You need to reduce the weight on your new hip until it’s fully bedded in. My surgeon insisted I carry on using at least one crutch for 6 weeks for this reason, as others have said, it’s not a race. Let your body heal properly, even the bits you can't see of feel.

• ellyb39
    Options

Thankyou , I am sure you are right.saw the physio today all is good .will listen to my body .it’s more important to heal properly than to rush it .

• frogmorton
    Options

Still not sleeping though 100% @EllyB ? I see you were up very late mind you that might be you anyway. I always find that after surgery one of the hardest things to cope with. I still want my 8 hours like I used to before Arthritis.

Have an afternoon nap if you need it and well done getting out for your meal you do sound rather battered.

Overall though you are doing so very well👍️

Take care

Toni x

• ellyb39
    Options

Thanks Toni, did not see these until now. I am now almost 6 weeks and doing much better, energy levels have got better, and the danger is doing too much!! It does not happen overnight but now exercising a little and swimming etc. i am also sleeping much better, but as you say I am inclined to be a late night person, and the dog wakes me at 6 often!!