In denial

Options
Missginns
Missginns Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi I’m completely floored at the news I have arthritis in my hips and lower back. I have no idea now what to do. Every day is painful and my whole life has stopped due to hardly being able to walk. It only started in march and I’m nowhere near seeing a consultant.

hoping to find comfort motivation and information here if I can stop crying.

Sarah

xxxx

Comments

• HelenS
    HelenS Administrator Posts: 104
    Options

Hi @Missginns

Thank you for posting on the online community. I'm really sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis of osteoarthritis affecting your hips and back, this must be an extremely worrying time for you, but you've come to the right place, we are a friendly group and hopefully you will find lots of useful support here.

Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis, and the hip is the second most commonly affected joint. I've added a couple of links below which I hope you will find useful.

Maybe you'd like to look around the rest of the discussion pages, Living with Arthritis tends to be the most popular, and I'm sure that some of our other members will be able to offer advice

Do keep in touch and let us know how you get on

Best wishes

@HelenS moderator

Need more help - Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• CliveClive
    CliveClive Member Posts: 28
    Options

Hi @Missginns, I understand your feelings. These were very much like my own until I had my hip replacement. No one can tell you what to do or when. I suggest you research your opinions and listen to others. When the time is right to act - you will know. I'm now 6weeks post operation and I had enough of the pain to act. But it's down to you. Look around the site, lots of first hand experiences. Good luck.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options

After many years of arthritis (hips and knees replaced) I'd just say go easy on yourself, do the exercises, find distractions from pain and take up something new for anything that has to be given up. It can be fun. Really!

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • StevieB
    StevieB Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hello when I first got diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis it was a shock and I ignored it. A couple of months later I was off work for 3months. I then did a pain management course, learned to pace myself better, had input of a physio and a OT and talked to my bosses in work.

I have had to change my lifestyle which I did find hard. But there is light at the end of the tunnel with the right support

• WindMystic
    Options

Hi @Missginns - what you’re feeling is completely normal. I’m in a similar situation - get my scan results next Friday but it’s looking like OA in lumbar spine according to Xray. I just keep hoping I’ll turn up next week and the consultant will say it’s not and everything’s fine.

It's so easy to get lost in a world of negativity - especially when the pain is really bad. And it’s difficult to get your head around it all when it feels like it’s happened so quickly. My only one piece of advice is to try and find the positive stories of people living with this horrible disease and how they manage it and can continue living a life that, although different to what they anticipated, is still fulfilling and rich.

I say all this today but I may well be in a world of despair with the pain tomorrow - or even this afternoon. I’m learning the ups and downs of this condition.

Take care and keep us posted.