Polymyositis?

Options
Sleek_Lemur
Sleek_Lemur Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone, I joined the group today in the hope of working out what on earth is wrong with me! My wife will say that it's a long list 😂, but here goes.

I'm a very fit 61 year-old. Very keen runner and swimmer and I also do Pilates twice a week to try and keep myself flexible.

About 6 weeks ago I started to get very sore muscles, mostly in my back, but also my legs. Within a day, my back muscles were cramping and spasming and I was basically immobile and in massive pain. Then my lower legs and feet swelled and became very painful. I spent 3 weeks on codeine paracetamol and ibuprofen and not sleeping much, before the pain and swelling started to reduce. During that time, the pain moved around my body randomly from back to neck to feet to knees.

The pain subsided and by last week, I was walking quite normally and was basically pain-free, so I went for an exploratory bicycle ride. Big mistake. Feet swelled up again and I could hardly walk. Things have calmed down again this week. I'm just generally sore and weak now. I have never felt poorly through all this and my appetite is fine

Doctor sent me to hospital for tests as they were concerned particularly about the swollen feet. Nothing, apart from a marker indicating inflammation. Heart ok! In the end they said they suspect a virus, but I can't find anything like this on the web. The nearest seems to be Polymyositis.

So here I am! Really grateful for any Wise Words the forum can provide.

Thank you.

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,005
    Options

Hello @Sleek_Lemur and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you suspect you have polymyositis. Your best course f action is probably going back to your GP again, sometimes we need to pester to get results. In the meantime our website contains a lot of useful information so have a look. also you may have already seen this but have a look through the following

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure others will connect to share their support and experience as well

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

I'd never heard of this so had a google. The nearest I can get to 'wise words' is to say I found this site https://www.myositis.org.uk/myositis-info/conditions/polymyositis/

I imagine, like the rest of us, it's mostly about careful exercises and distraction. Oh and not overdoing things, especially the fun things!

Welcome aboard.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Bertie_brace2022
    Options

@Sleek_Lemur

I have myosotis and would be happy to chat and maybe help if I can

Jay

xx