Muscle Atrophy after Depo Injection

Options
Sandgrownen
Sandgrownen Member Posts: 17
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi all

Has anyone experienced muscle loss (atrophy) after having a depo cortiso steroid injection?

I came off my metoject injections due to anal bleeding which stopped as soon as I ceased weekly injections. So after two months cold turkey I was in need of the injection.

I had already lost a lot of strength due to RA but losing muscle mass makes things worse.

It would be comforting to know if anyone has recovered from a similar experience and if there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I see my consultant in November so hopefully he will propose a remedy. Thanks.

Steve

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 754
    Options

Hi @Sandgrownen

I have been searching for the possible link between muscle loss after a steroid injection. I have found some research projects started a number of years ago at the University of Birmingham but with no published results that I could find at present.

If you would like to talk to someone about your concerns before your consultant's appointment our Helpline is open Monday - Friday 9.00 - 6.00; 0800 5200 520.

You could also contact the National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society, www.nras.org.uk who have a helpful website.

I hope you reach someone in our community who has experienced similar symptoms and that you find the comfort you seek. We are here to support you so let us know how you get on with your appointment.

Take care

Poppyjane ( Moderator)

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

Frankly, Steve, I've never noticed this and don't recall anyone else mentioning it. Mind you, muscle loss with RA - that's pretty inevitable.

Good luck with your consultant and do, please, let us know how you get on.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright