NSAIDs or Co-Codamol

Options
tom525
tom525 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

I've been advised not to take NSAIDs or Co-Codamol as I also have a heart problem and asthma. Are there any natural supplements that would help?

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 750
    Options

Hello @tom525 welcome to the online community,

You have been advised against certain medications and so want to know about natural supplements that might help your condition. Numbers of our members take alternative supplements alongside their medication and since we are all different it is often a case of trial and error to work out what suits our unique metabolisms.

I attach some links which I hope you find helpful

Some supplements take a while to have any noticeable effect so meanwhile take a look at the various areas on the community and do join in with some of the discussions or activities.

We look forward to hearing from you soon,

Take care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options

Please check with your pharmacist before taking any supplements. Natural doesn't mean safe. Belladonna is natural! And, although all meds have to be approved and ensured to be, broadly, safe, supplements don't. I'd have thought your GP could prescribe something. There's a wide range of pain-relieving meds. You just need GP or pharmacist to suggest something that's OK with asthma, a heart problem and any other prescribed or OTC meds you're taking.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Janie2312
    Janie2312 Member Posts: 8
    Options

I’ve previously tried cod liver oil with no effect. I’m currently trying glucosamine with chondroitin (which I can’t spell). I’m on my third week and as of yet not noticed any improvement. However I was told it can take 6-12 weeks to feel any benefit. I much prefer natural remedies when possible. But I do advise to always check with your pharmacist or doctor before adding any supplements, as some can’t be taken with certain other supplements and some can’t be taken with certain prescribed medications.

I use an ibuprofen based gel which doesn’t trigger my asthma personally but have also used Voltarol gel, again this didn’t trigger my asthma but I know both can do.