Face masks

Options
2»

Comments

• BettyMac
    BettyMac Member Posts: 202
    Options

I’m another who’s immunocompromised, thanks to the DMARDs. My husband had NHL so he’s vulnerable too.

I still mask in most settings, especially medical ones where others don’t. I’ll even wait outside, rather than sit in a crowded waiting room, and ask any healthcare worker who comes within a few feet of me to wear a mask. Sometimes they’re a bit snotty about it - until I explain my vulnerability. No-one has yet refused my very polite request.

A good quality, FFP2 or FFP3 mask, worn properly, will protect its wearer. The science on how this type of mask works is reassuring - but it must be properly used.

My husband and self are both vaccinated to the max - just had #8 in November. We rashly decided not to mask at our son’s wedding recently (imagine the wedding photos!) and both ended up with Covid, our first bout in 4 years. I ended up on antivirals. Depending on how long we take to stop being infectious, Xmas may have to be cancelled - for the 4th year running.

I can understand the original poster’s feeling of “Let’s just get it - and be over and done with it”. The last 4 years have felt like waiting for the sword to drop, not knowing where you’ll catch it and just how ill it’ll make you.

The problem is that Covid is unlike many other illnesses; it’s not One And You’re Done. It’s possible to be repeatedly infected and we don’t yet fully understand the cumulative effects of this. People think of Covid as a souped-up “cold”, a sort of flu bug, but it has many other effects on the body’s blood system and organs. It really is better avoided, if you can.

To be honest, I’m now very bored and fed up of Covid. And the constant weighing-up of risk vs benefit is wearing - especially when most of the world now doesn’t understand why we need to be careful My life has been severely affected over the last 4 years and I would like to be able to actually live it again! We are taking a few more risks now. The wedding one didn’t pay off 😂- but we did have a lovely time, even if we’re paying for it now.

I have noticed that I get a few lòóks from people when I mask but I just ignore them. No-one has made any comments - unless you count the twerp who did some sarcastic coughing near me. I suspect that, even behind a mask, my Resting B Face is obvious enough to deter them 😂

For anyone who’s feeling worried about masking in public, reassure yourself that you’re doing exactly what the Dept of Health recommends for vulnerable people and reducing your risk of becoming infected.

Hoping you all stay healthy over the festivities and that you get a chance to enjoy yourselves.

• Luipje
    Luipje Member Posts: 1
    Options

When people come to me and tell me that masks don't protect against Covid, I tell them that last year, when I stopped wearing masks over the summer months, I got Covid twice, despite having had all 8 vaccinations. I also tell them about a friend of mine who is a teacher and does not have a weakened immune system. When the school made mask-wearing mandatory, absences due to Covid, flu or other viral infections were minimal. When it was decided that face masks were no longer necessary, absenteeism increased and she too has now had Covid and numerous colds. Most of my friends and family understand my position on wearing masks and self-isolation. Some of them, especially the older generation, don't and they will question my choices and say that I still have to 'live' despite my circumstances. I tell them that this is exactly why I need to protect myself because I want to live as long as possible and without additional complications caused by Covid. I already have to live with a continuous cough caused by the second Covid infection. By wearing a mask and/or self-isolating, I can protect myself as much as possible from viral infections that can ruin my life even more than my autoimmune diseases already do. I no longer care what other people think or say. I'm the one with a severely compromised immune system and I don't want Covid anymore.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options

Hi @Luipje

Nice to meet you.

I think people should respect your choice as far as mask wearing is concerned.

It is no-one's business but your own.

When my daughter had leukaemia I wore one twice during her 2.5 years on chemotherapy because I had a cold/sore throat. She never caught it in spite of having no neutrophils at all.

Hope you'll enjoy the forum everyone is really supportive here.

Toni

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Welcome to the online community @Luipje.

I see you're having no problem at all navigating the site or joining in. Our members are very welcoming feel free to just join in wherever you feel comfortable.

I look forward to seeing your posts in future.

Best wishes

Ellen.