Osteoarthritis in hip and pain when walking

Options
bob123
bob123 Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I'm wondering if you can hardly walk without pain during and after, is it still recommended to exercise or will it make osteoarthritis in the hip worse or would there still be benefits from exercising? Can hardly walk at all even with a cane.

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,005
    Options

Hello @bob123 and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have osteoarthritis of the hip and are have trouble walking at times. Have you tried doing some stretching exercises? We have a video explaining these which might help.

Also have a look through the following

Please let us know how you get on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their support and experiences as well.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

I had a hip replacement just over a year ago and before the op I could only walk or stand for only about 15 minutes. Previously I used to enjoy 10 mile walks. The generally accepted advice is to exercise to maintain muscles which will help support the hip before any operation and recovery after a hip replacement op. Before the op I was able to do a lot of exercises other than walking and I'm sure these helped my post op recovery. There are lots of different exercises freely available on the internet and, as everyone is different, I think it's a case of experimenting to find what works best for you.

• bob123
    Options

thanks for the useful information RogerBill, did your hip replacement cure you of pain and are you able to walk more now?

• bob123
    Options

hi noddingtonpete, i do suffer from arthritus but osteoarthritus of the hip is a close relative that i am researching help for. So this information is a great help, thank you so much!

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

Hi @bob123 Yes the op did cure the pain. I'm now able to enjoy 5 mile walks, not as good as I was 10 years ago but lots better than the year before the operation. It's a major operation and recovery takes time and effort but it's a well proven operation with a high success rate. I've no regrets in having had the op.