New to RA

Options
Crizmiff
Crizmiff Member Posts: 9
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hello, recently experienced a steady increase in morning pain in joints of hands which has now moved to shoulders and arms. I didn’t know arthritis could be so painful. Awaiting x rays and ultra sound this week but can’t see reuhmatologist until 29th Nov. Not sleeping due to pain. Should my NSAIDs be giving me some relief from pain? Doesn’t seem to be working after nearly three weeks.

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,005
    Options

Hello @Crizmiff and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have pain in your hands, shoulders and arms and waiting to see a rheumatologist. I also understand that your pain meds don't seem to be working and I would suggest trying to get back in touch with your GP to see if there is anything else you could try. I have OA in my hands and use

which is only available on prescription and provides some relief. Be careful of getting it in your eyes or mouth though as it is made from chillies. Also have a look through the following as it might help

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting in and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their thoughts and experiences as well.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

NSAIDS will help to a limited extent but what RA really requires are DMARDS (Disease Modifying Anti Rheumatic Drugs. Your rheumatologist will almost certainly prescribe them. GPs can only do,so as directed by a rheumatologist. But your GP could prescribe something else for night time. Worth an ask? Meanwhile, try to take things a bit easy.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options

Hi @Crizmiff

Nice to meet you. I am sorry you are in so much pain at the moment. Hang on in there the 29th seems a long way off, but you have an appointment which is good because that's where you can get the actual help you need. As stickywicket rightly points out this is Disease Modifying Anti Rheumatic Drugs (DMARDs).

Your GP can only prescribe pain relief and anti-inflammatory drugs until instructed to not DMARDs.

Anti-inflammatory drugs are really helpful at reducing inflammation and pain, but only go so far. Have you got any actual painkillers to take alongside them for now? Your GP can at least help with that.

While you are waiting for your appointment you can start preparing for it so you get the best out of it. I would write a list of what is happening, for how long it lasts, how much out of 10 it hurts, what it stops you doing etc. Don't forget other symptoms you might have like a rash or maybe a higher that normal temperature for instance.

Best of luck and do let us know how you get on.

Toni x