A young adult "newly diagnosed with knee osteoarthritis"

Options
Dove23!
Dove23! Member Posts: 6
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi all,

I was recently diagnosed with early knees osteoarthritis. I am a 36 old teacher and a mother of 2 kids. The pain can be managed with painkillers so far, yet I can't deal with the fact that I will always be in pain. The fact that it will worsen over time is killing me. I am a person who enjoys deep cleaning, organizing, and doing the dishes! Taking the stairs now is my new nightmare! Any advice? I keep getting nightmares that I will hit the late stages very soon and won't be able to take care of my family or lose my job 💔? Thank you.

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 682
    Options

Hi @mlabib221  

Welcome to the versus arthritis forum. 

You are recently diagnosed with OA and are understandably finding it difficult to accept that the pain may well be long-term. You’d like to hear from any forum members who can offer you their advice. 

Well, you’ve definitively come to the right place to ask the question. Whilst you await some feedback you may find these links to articles on our website of relevance: 

In addition, on Living with arthritis we have posts from many members who live with arthritis, I'm sure you will be able to find some other discussions you may wish to join in on or alternatively start a new one. 

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    edited 4. Nov 2022, 07:52
    Options

Hi @mlabib221

To be honest many of us here started with our Arthritis as young as you and although some of us are now a fair bit older we have done alright.

If your Arthritis is Osteoarthritis surgery might be an option much later on. Obviously not now of course.

When my own started (OA in my 20's - back and neck - then added inflammatory later on) I had been, in my opinion, the fastest Mum at the school gate. So I was very miffed indeed. I was worried that I would embarrass my children too. Adjusting to a life changing diagnosis is terrifying. For me though what I feared hasn't happened I am very happy life is good and remain on my feet pretty well.

My advice? Exercise - not gym stuff just the exercises on here:

Keep your weight under control - eat healthily and just pace yourself a little. Deep clean less of an area maybe more often on good days. I batch cook too and freeze food on good days. Erm...still thinking. If i think of anything else I'll add to this thread.

Most of all though for now be kind to yourself and let yourself adjust to the new normal. All of us here are on the same path as you you are not alone anymore((()))

Toni x

• swedeflower
    Options

Hi! I am a mom of 2 ten year olds and I have severe osteoarthritis in both my knees. I remember I was diagnosed with it 12 years ago and the pain was so bad I thought my life was over. But then I went to a good physical therapist who taught me all the ways that small changes in how I moved/positioned my body/knees made a big difference in how much pain I felt when doing various physical activities/chores. If you haven't done a good course of PT yet I highly recommend it. Also I noticed that when I focused my mind too much on my fears or negative predictions about my future dealing with the arthritis that I suffered more, both pain wise and sadness-wise. It is a known fact that your emotional state and how you think about your pain can either increase or decrease your suffering from it. When you have thoughts about the pain never going away or getting worse over time, tell yourself "The pain may get worse but my ability to cope with it is getting better every day." To increase your ability to cope with it there are some good books about managing pain from a psychological standpoint out there - look around and see if one of them is of interest to you or you could also try a few sessions of therapy with a good pain management therapist as well. Good luck to you!

• CCM
    CCM Member Posts: 113
    Options

Greetings, @mlabib221. I cannot endorse enough the remarks from @swedeflower about the importance of the atttitude you adopt in dealing with your condition:

"Also I noticed that when I focused my mind too much on my fears or negative predictions about my future dealing with the arthritis that I suffered more, both pain wise and sadness-wise. It is a known fact that your emotional state and how you think about your pain can either increase or decrease your suffering from it. When you have thoughts about the pain never going away or getting worse over time, tell yourself "The pain may get worse but my ability to cope with it is getting better every day."

I have lived with Rheumatoid arthritis for nearly 40 years and remain active and live a life I am content with. Don't mourn the thinks you may no longer be able to do, but rejoice in the tings, bot old and new you can.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

CCM

• Dove23!
    Dove23! Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hi,

@CCM @SwearyMary @frogmanfrogie68 can't thank you enough for replying to my message.

You got me thinking about many things. I started a PT course and it has helped a lot with managing the pain (I am about to finish it which is added to my new list of fears) 😨. I am kinda worried that I will loose the motivation to continue with my exercises due to my hectic schedule. Also, I am actually underweight so I guess that is one positive thing🙈 LOL.

Also I thank you for mentioning that it is not that rare in my age to be diagnosed! Since my orthopedic had the "I CAN'T BELIEVE IT" face on the whole time!!!!!!

@CCM I have a dear family member who has rheumatoid arthritis so I understand how difficult it can be. I honestly appreciate you unique approach 👏 of dealing with it and talking about. I am very touched. You inspire me.

@swedeflower you do get me since our kids are almost the same age. Preteen age can be very demanding. Thank you for sharing your insights with me.

@frogmorton You do understand my fear of the future. You telling me that years after your diagnosis, you're still going strong makes me feel hopeful and positive about my future. I have been thinking about talking to a professional since I was sleep deprived lately thinking about the progress of my OA. I do appreciate your tips on cooking and cleaning. I guess I will miss the many hours of deep cleaning. I used to HAPPILY drop dead on my couch after🛋.

Thank you all and I will keep you posted. 🙏 💐