Getting back in the saddle

Lilymary
Lilymary Member Posts: 1,619

A few of the regulars on here may be aware of my tortuous recovery after hip replacement in April 2021 ("New Hip Day"). I still have muscle weakness which affects my balance, and more particularly a very grumpy psoas tendon which shouts loudly if I lift my knee any higher than required to go up stairs, and I have to lift it with my hands to get into bed or the car etc. The medics occasionally give the tendon a tweak but sadly it's not looking hopeful for a complete and permanent solution.

But by heck, I'm bored with waiting for it to recover. So with my surgeon's permission, and at the age of 63, I'm resurrecting one of my greatest pleasures, horse riding. I haven't ridden a great deal since my youth, and not at all for about 7 years for various reasons, not least my rubbish hip for the last 3 of them. So I rang the stable, told them my story, and asked for a slender, bomb proof horse for me to try out. I decided if I couldn't trot on him, I'd just walk round in a circle for 30 mins, and if I couldn't even do that, I'd just cuddle the poor confused lad till time was up (the horse, not the trainer!). I needed a horsey fix one way or another. The stable I chose used to do Riding for the Disabled, so I reckoned they'd be familiar with my potential limitations.

Well, they gave me a short fat cob they keep for older or wonky people like me, and apologised for his fat tummy! My trainer, Anne, is so careful not to push me too far and "do me a mischief". We got me on board via a mounting block (days of swinging on from ground level are well and truly over) and just let me sit there while my body settled into position, to gauge whether this was a go-er or not. Nothing cracked or shrieked, so we put me on a lunge rein for a bit of walking in circles, and even managed a bit of a trot. Legging him on is very painful, and if I lose my stirrup there's no way I'm getting my foot back in without help. But heck, I'm doing it! 😃🐴 After 3 lessons, I'm now trotting off the lunge rein, I can trust my sweet, fat, slightly lazy little cob to look after me, and my dodgy tendon only shouts for a day or two afterwards, then settles down to its normal level of whingeing, which is good enough for me. I had to buy some new kit, as my old stuff either doesn't fit or had disintegrated with age (much like me). So I've got to get my money's worth out of it now!

I'm trying out swimming again next. Not sure what my tendon will do, but my surgeon said I'd "have to get in some pretty weird positions for my hip to dislocate at this stage". All things in moderation, I'm taking it very slow and steady, but wish me luck.

Comments

• Fif
    Fif Member Posts: 73

Fantastic photo! Well done for not giving up and having a go. Your smile says it all! Good luck with the swimming.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,097

Hey, well done you! I'm envious.

I joined RDA and first rode a horse (as opposed to a seaside donkey!) when I already had two TKRs and one THR. I carried on after the other THR but my surgeon got a bit twitchy after my knee revision so I gave up. It was huge fun while it lasted. Carry on enjoying it all. Just make sure you stay on. I'm sure you're a much better rider than I ever was.

I love the horse. Keep a good supply of mints and carrots. Nothing quite like a spot of bribery and corruption.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 28,071

Ooooh! Go you @Lilymary I think you have been amazing having had so much to deal with.

Well done.

The horse is indeed a tad plumptious😉

Toni x

• Jewels
    Jewels Member Posts: 188

You go girl @Lilymary enjoy every minute 😁

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,619

Well, I survived the swim, just took it gently - I was surprised how much my of confidence had gone (although I’m a rubbish swimmer anyway), and was as stiff as a board this evening, but nothing hurts too badly. Had a lovely chat with two other arthritis warriors in the changing room, it was good to be able to encourage each other. The pool is ideal, small, quiet and lovely and warm. Looks like I may be going again! After a really tough year healthwise and at work, it’s good to take a step back to start putting my battered body back together again.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 28,071

Sounds like it was a good experience all round meeting other people @Lilymary 😊I reckon you will be back. I desperately miss swimming, but it's my lungs not my bones which are preventing me from going.

After a tough year indeed you are turning things around👍️

Love

Toni x

Who's Online

Fran54
Fran54
Izzy72
Izzy72
Keef
Keef
toady
toady