Trapeziectomy

Options
rubysdad1
rubysdad1 Member Posts: 7
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Morning

Has anyone experience of this op .The surgeon wants to replace the arthritc bone base of my thumb with a piece of tendon. How successful is this or is it better to replace with an artificial bone

Thanks

Comments

• Lane
    Lane Member Posts: 113
    Options

Hello @rubysdad1 welcome to our friendly community.

I understand that you have arthritis to your thumb and seeking information on the operation. I have attached a link for you to have a look at:

I am sure that other members will be able to share any experiences they have too.

All the best.

• rubysdad1
    Options

thanks thats v useful. A friend had a bad experience with the the tendon method so would like to know what other folk have had done and the success rate with either one

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options

Well that looks a bit messy @rubysdad1 sorry I was trying to be helpful.

Hopefully those threads will give you something to read. They are discussions I personally remember, but you can do your own search too if it's easier? Just click on the 'magnifying glass' icon top right of this page in the black part.

Best of luck and please if you feel up to it do keep sharing your story.

Toni

• rubysdad1
    Options

Very many thanks Meg. How did the surgeon fill the gap left by removal of the bone? tendon extension/implant or nothing ?? Difficult to know which to opt for as all seem to have risks and pain

• Moira
    Moira Member Posts: 88
    Options

Hi

My friend across the road had the op a number of years ago - the bone was removed and "grizzle" filled the space. She has no problems and after recovery which took a quite a long time, full use of her hand.

I have had steroid injection in both hands and OT (brilliant - do my exercises all the time and have splits which help). I'm awaiting the op in my right thumb (how will I get my bra on....!!!!) in the new year. No doubt then the left thumb will need doing. I have already had an op on my right middle finger which loosened everything up and removed several ganglions.

I had to give up playing my guitar and Renaissance recorders a few years back. I can still do my uke though. Isn't arthritis a pain in the proverbial!

All ops have a modicum of pain but there are different painkillers you can use depending on your pain threshold. Discuss it with your physio/OT/surgeon/nurse. I would say, after other ops that I've had, to keep your post op exercises going because that will make a huge difference to mobility.

Good luck - any ideas anyone for putting on underwear after such an op, or will I just stay wobbly!!

• rubysdad1
    Options

That all sounds encouraging thanks.I'm still not keen to have the surgery but needs must I guess. One day maybe a real cure.