Bit of a shock.

Options
Pdoc354
Pdoc354 Member Posts: 6
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

In 1995 I suffered a bout of food poisioning, as a result I got Reitrts Syndrome. Now called reactive arthritus. From the onset my GP has never referted me to a rheumatologist. !! About 5 weeks ago, golfing, very difficult to hold club, unable to make a fist either hand. Went to GP, nice man, referred me to Royal Lancaster Hosp, and I was there within 4 days. Seen, great lady docs and Consultant, I have rheumatoid arthritus. Aeare no cire, but can be helped. Started initial dose 10mg methotrexate last monday. Bit concerned that from wed on, get very very breathless. Wondering, is this normal. ?? Perhaps someone here may experoenced similar. Hosp gonna ring me Tuesday. Thanks. Take care.

Comments

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522
    Options

Welcome to the forum @Pdoc354 .

I see that having developed reactive arthritis in 1995 and following a recent unfortunate experience on the golf course, you have now been told you have Rheumatoid Arthritis You have seen a Consultant and started on Methotrexate.

Breathlessness is a known side effect of Methotrexate, so you should contact the Rheumatology department treating you or your GP.

Here is a link to information on the condition: 

and to Methotrexate: 

Take care and let us know you get on.

Tom, Moderator.

• Pdoc354
    Options

Thanks Tom. Have contacted the Hosp and Nurse will ring me Tuesday am.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options

Hi @Pdoc354

I am so glad you have contacted the hospital. @Tom gave you great advice there (as i'd expect from one of our mods) do let us know how you get on won't you?

Take care

Toni x

• Pdoc354
    Options

Hi there, thanks for that, sure all will be ok. Just a bit strange.

Take care.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

Good news that the rheumatology nurse will ring you on Tuesday. Just as a belt and braces job, it might be worth contacting your local pharmacist to check whether he/she thinks you should take your second dose on Monday.

I've taken meth for years with no problems even though I do have mild asthma (and did have long before the meth) but personally I'd want to make sure.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Pdoc354
    Options

Hi there, thanks very much fot that. Am away at the moment in the wilds of Scotland, but will return home Monday and ring the pharmacist.

Regards.

• Pdoc354
    Options