Struggling to deal with Rheumatoid Arthritis diagnosis at 30/Swimming

Options
Ali_Zander
Ali_Zander Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi,

I've just turned 30 and was diagnosed with seronegative RA in August after a lot of back and forth with various professionals. Initially it was thought to be reactive arthritis but when there was no change after 5 months, a consultant confirmed RA.

I first experienced pain at the beginning of March which started in my knees and within about 48 hours had spread to my fingers, wrists, elbows, shoulders and ankles. It literally happened overnight and has been a very draining and difficult process ever since. At the start I was put on Prednisolone for about 35 days, followed by a steroid injection but for the past few months have been taking Sulfasalazine, Hydroxychloroquine and Etoricoxib. Unfortunately I have quite bad reflux and nausea from the meds, so I also take omeprazole alongside the others.

I am finding it increasingly difficult to deal with and just feel at a loss. I find myself getting so overwhelmed with anger and frustration when I can't do things or when I have to rely on others to do simple tasks for me, like opening a bottle or a jar. I understand that it is a process and is somewhat like grieving but every time I feel like I'm reaching some level of acceptance, I have a bad day which just sets me back.

The pain in my hands and wrists is probably the worst and is so exhausting. Pre the onset of symptoms, I was pretty active, swimming 4-5 times a week, walking 3-5 times a week and doing yoga each evening. I am a strong swimmer and loved this as a way to keep active and clear my head after work as my job can be hard and emotionally draining. When the symptoms started, I didn't go in the pool for 6 months as I knew I would not be able to do what I had done previously and on top of everything else, this was something I was just not ready to deal with. I recently went back and it was an odd combination of feeling so happy and calm but I also burst into tears about half way through my set. I had not considered that the pain in my hands would have such an impact when swimming. I wonder if there are any others here who swim and have found anything that can support the hands/fingers whilst swimming?

My apologies for the long post. I think I am just finding it tough. Don't get me wrong, I have good days but sometimes I just feel very alone with this.

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,038
    Options

Hello @Ali_Zander and welcome to the community. We are friendly and supportive and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have been diagnosed with RA and experiencing a lot of pain around your hands in particular. I also understand that you are feeling somewhat alone with this. This is something most of us go through but one thing this community does do is show that you are not alone and are now among friends who understand.

Have a look through the following which might be of help.

and

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect, and hopefully give tips on swimming with painful hands.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options

I don't swim but I seem to remember a recent similaŕ question so I tried the search engine and these threads came up https://community.versusarthritis.org/search?query=swimming%20gloves&scope=site&source=community It might be that OA and RA would need different care.

You've clearly been very active pre diagnosis and that will make it harder to accept. Go easy on yourself. Don't expect too much from your body right now. You might get back to all the former things but you might have to adapt or just give things up for a while.

Many of us with RÀ find it starts in our hands. Mine diď. I used to play the piano (badly) and it was tough. Bur we adapt and move on, developinģ other interests. I'd never ridden a horse but I took up Riding for the Disableď and loved it.

Swimming is actually good for RA but maybe you're trying to do too much right now. Maybe you're using it to banish the blues. Try to swim within your current limitations and see how it goes. It might go really well.

As for jars etc, have a look at electric jar and can openers. Great foŕ us with weakened hands but mainstream and useful for all. There are loads of other ways of making our lives easier. No point in suffering unnecessarily. We have enough pain without going looking for it.

You will get used to it all but it does take time. Use us as a sounding board.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Ali_Zander
    Options

Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it. I will certainly have a look at the links you have suggested.

Thanks again, Ali

• Ali_Zander
    Options

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and for linking that previous question. I have had a look and will also use the search engine.

I agree with going easy. I think that is one of the most difficult things as it sometimes feels like going easy and not expecting too much means I have given up and been defeated almost. I know that may sound ridiculous and you are absolutely right.

I hadn't even thought about electric jar and can openers! I have now purchased one and again, it makes sense not to make things more difficult than they need to be.

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond, so thank you again. It has definitely made me feel less alone in all of this.