Scared about upcoming knee replacement ops

Options
Tor
Tor Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I'm 53 and struggled with bad knees for years. I finally sought medical help last year, and was diagnosed with osteoarthritis. I am due to have total knee replacement surgery on both knees , with the first probably happening before Christmas, and am very frightened, both about the operations themselves and the recovery. If anybody who has been through knee replacement surgery could maybe share their experiences, alleviate my worries, that would be great. Thank you 😊

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,005
    Options

Hello @Tor and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have osteoarthritis in your knees and are due to have knee replacement surgery. There are many people in this community who have had a replacement and I am sure they will share their experiences with you. In the meantime have a look through the following.

and on the surgery

Please keep posting and also you could do a search on TKR

and have a read through the posts. I am sure others will connect with you to share their support as well.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

Hi @Tor , I've had three TKRs, all very successful. Have you read the link given above? https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/surgery/knee-replacement-surgery/

Maybe, if you read it and then get back, letting us know what exactly concerns you, some of us could reassure you. It's a very common, successful op but we do need to play our part.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Tor
    Options

Thank you for replying, I read the article in the link, and it was very useful. I was surprised (and pleased) to read that I may be able to have an epidural instead of general anaesthetic. I suppose I really just need some views from people who have had TKRs about how bad the post-operative pain really is. I'm a very independent (stubborn) person - it's going to be hard being looked after!

• stickywicket
    Options

I'm pleased to report i can't remember the post-op pain, not because i didn't have any but because it was so long ago. It's not great at first but, if we take the pain meds and do the exercises, it improves. I found distraction great - puzzles, TV, books, whatever takes your mind off it. Laughter is the best. But, to keep pain as low as possible and as short as possible, do all the exercises given, don't push the walking as that won't exercise and strengthen all the muscles, just some and remember that your first job is to make that knee work by doing the above and resting it. Don't push recovery. Use that stubbornness to ensure you get things right. You'll be fine.

Steven Wright
  • Tor
    Options

Thank you so much for getting back to me. Exercises over simply walking is good advice. I have a high pain threshold - have to to live with what my consultant called "dreadful knees"! As for my stubbornness, you're right, it will help. You must have been through a lot to have 3 TKRs. 2 on one knee and one on the other or all 3 on one 1?

• Moira
    Moira Member Posts: 88
    Options

I had an epidural but also a light aenaestic for my complete knee replacement a number of years ago. I had pain killers at home too but I don't like taking then too often so did work through some pain - then got a row from the physio and told to take them!

You have to start your exercises straight away after the op, but you sound as stubborn as me. So I did the exercises! I also did my allotted ones when I got home with my sticks to get around - wooden ones which I used felt pens to decorate while I was in hospital (cased fun and comments).

It will make a difference when you get it done, so don't worry too much. Just think you will be much more mobile and not have that dreadful pain.

Good luck and keep being stubborn, it does us in good stead to keep moving.

• stickywicket
    Options

My OA came due tonyears of RA . I had my first two TKRs in 1981. One was replaced 27 years later. I still have the other but it's totally knackered now. As well it might be!

I'm glad @Moira has been able to give a ore up to date report. Incidentally, I think epidurals are much preferred now.

Are you alone at home? If so you'll probably need to freeze batch meals/buy in ready meals in advance. If not, allow yourself to be waited on at first. Just potter.

Steven Wright