Awaiting confirmation PSA diagnosis

Almonmd
Almonmd Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

I have 2 siblings with RA, one for 30 years and one in the last 4 years. A couple of years ago I started to notice some changes to my fingers, bony growths and fingers deforming, with some pain. As I had familial history of RA, I was referred to a Rheumatologist. Initial diagnosis was Nodal Osteoarthritis, but with a note saying to refer back if I showed any signs of inflammation. I started to develop rashes on my feet, but as they disappeared, didn’t think too much about it. Last Christmas I had crippling pains in the tendon at the back of one foot. I assumed I’d damaged a tendon. Six months later I was still limping with the tendon pain, and the foot rash came back, along with a rash on my face and ears, along with changes to my toenails. Lots of intermittent joint pain/stiffness and exhaustion. My doctor referred me back to the Rheumatologist, who suspects I have PSA. I’ve had X-rays of hands,feet and one hip,as I was limping. Plus MRI of both ankles. I’ve also been referred to a Dermatologist, to confirm that I have Psoriasis. Once all that’s completed it’s back to the Rheumatologist for confirmation.

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 983

Hello @Almonmd and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you waiting to have your diagnosis of PSA confirmed and have an initial diagnosis of Nodal Osteoarthritis. Have a look at the following articles from our website, they might give you some additional information.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their support and experiences as well.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Almonmd
    Almonmd Member Posts: 3

Thanks for this info. I wonder if the auto immune conditions of RA and PSA have some genetic link . 3 out of 4 siblings now with inflammatory arthritis. Does anyone else have similar familial experience?

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

I think the genetic link is to autoimmunity rather then any specific 'branch' of arthritis. I have RA. My mother had psoriasis but not PsA. My sister, in her 80s, developed PMR but was fine until then. (In fact, she's almost 'over it' now.)

I hope you can soon get on some meds and get on top of it all. By the way, you can have PsA without psoriasis.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright