Anxiety

Options
Feebus
Feebus Member Posts: 8
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi

i had an extremely bad anxiety and depression bout a couple of years ago, which I think I have under control

I underwent a total hip replacement about 10/days ago, but have started to feel overwhelmed with exercises, the pain, anxiety etc etc.

is this normal ? I am anxious now about how I’m going to cope getting on my feet again.

Has anyone else experienced this ? Thankyou

Comments

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

Hi @Feebus , good to hear you’ve had your surgery, but I can empathise with how you feel. I’m a tough old bird generally speaking, but even I had my weepy moments in the first few weeks after surgery. This is the hardest bit, and it can seem pretty gruelling sometimes, but it does get better and the pain does subside. Ease up on yourself. You’ve had major surgery, it’s bound to knock you a bit and leave you feeling a little vulnerable sometimes. Trust in your body’s ability to heal, because it will, and you will soon be feeling the benefit of what you’ve just been though. Meanwhile, give yourself small pleasures to make the day a little lighter. Don't worry, you’ll get there, and a few tears along the way is quite understandable. But it doesn’t mean you’re necessarily going back into one of your longer episodes of anxiety. You’ll be skipping through the daisies again before you know it x

• Skinny Keef
    Skinny Keef Member Posts: 1,000
    Options

Hi Feebus, I understand how you are feeling. I too have a history of depression and similar. I know it’s very difficult when you are feeling down to see things clearly but, the thing is, recovery from major surgery takes time, but if I were you I would focus on the fact that every day you’re going to be feeling just a little bit better as everything heals and starts to settle down. Take it a little bit at a time, a day or even just a morning or afternoon.

If the pain is too bad speak to your doctor and get some stronger pain medication. There is absolutely no reason to suffer in pain whilst you are recovering. I always find things a lot better once the pain is controlled.

Also get some prescription cream for the skin as it’s healing, not itching all the time is another thing that will make you feel ten times better.

it’s okay to feel sorry for yourself. It’s natural to feel anxious. Just concentrate on getting better and remember that each day you will feel just a bit better than the day before. Look at how you were 9 days ago, i bet you have progressed already since then??!!