Hello! I’m Jess with AS

Options
JRunner
JRunner Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hello everyone!

I came across this site while digging for information about how AS flares feel for other people. I was diagnosed about 6 years ago after developing scleritis during pregnancy and being referred to rheumatology. I had grown up with joint pains and just thought it was normal or maybe I was sore from whatever I did that week. It wasn’t until I met my rheumatologist that I realized all the fatigue, stiffness, and days of increased pain weren’t a normal part of life.

I was finally put on a biologic medication which brought me almost immediate relief. I had become so accustomed to just ignoring it and pushing through that I hadn’t realized how much it dragged me down. Being on the proper medication gave me my life back. I finally had the energy to happily play outside with my children, I have been keeping up with my physical fitness, I can work all day without feeling like every task is a mountain to climb. One of the things I’m most proud of is completing a half marathon race the day after running a 10k— I could finally run without pain.

Unfortunately, I have started having flares again despite being on the medication that gave me back my life and I’m extremely scared it isn’t working anymore. Is that normal? What is the next step? Will I get to a point where nothing works?

I am so thankful there is a community of warriors out there to help guide others through the dark maze that is this illness; I could use a light right now.

Comments

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460
    Options

Hello @JRunner

welcome to the community of warriors, I like that idea ☺️ As you say you are flaring again it is probably best to get an appointment with your rheumatologist asap. Medications can stop working, I am on my third biologic but do not despair there are lots of other choices out there. I have had the same thoughts about nothing working but after 40 years there are still lots of choices and new medications are still coming on the market so no need to despair. You got this!!

Amazing work with the running and the half marathon! I know you are going to fit in well here. I am sure our members willshare thier experience of anti-TNF with you

Best Wishes

Sharon

• JRunner
    JRunner Member Posts: 3
    edited 21. Nov 2022, 02:12
    Options

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I went many years without any effective treatments, so when this worked I was shocked and then thrilled. Hoping this is just a small bump in the road.

Anyone know if getting vaccines might trigger a flare? Anyone get flares from that despite being on a biologic?

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hi @JRunner

Take a look at this search I did:

A few have talked about vaccines triggering flares.

Best wishes

Ellen.