In pain everyday

Julken
Julken Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in 2018, and osteoporosis earlier this year. Every day I have pain, today it’s hands and knees, yesterday was my wrists, I wake up stiff and in pain, I take methotrexate, ibuprofen gel and 15/500 co codamol, which I cannot take all the time, as they are addictive. Does anyone know of a pain killer that works, as I’m getting depressed now, and actually cried when I awoke this morning. Does methotrexate stop working after a few years. ??

Comments

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460

Hello @Julken

welcome to the community. Sorry to hear that you are struggling with pain at present. There are many types of painkillers and it would be best to spak to you rheumatologist if your disease is not presently under control. You might need a better disease modifying medication (DMARD) to keep you arthritis under control rather than painkiller but on they can advise you on this

It is also useful to think of other ways you might manage your pain to help you to get through the day

It's not surprising that you cried and are feeling depressed, you really are dealing with a lot at the moment. Try not to be too hard on yourself and just know things never stay the same and this too will pass. We have a great section about managing emothions here

I am confident our members will also support you

Gentle hugs

Sharon

• Skinny Keef
    Skinny Keef Member Posts: 941

I can sympathise with you as I have had permanent pain for over a decade now. I was on the strongest cocodamol for about ten years until the side effects became too much. I tried various drugs, antidepressants, epilepsy drugs, patches and all sorts and finally settled on tramadol. It isn’t for everyone but for me it controls the pain a little bit, it lifts my mood a lot and it helps reduce the symptoms of my IBS. It does have quite a few side effects, you need to be wary of, but so far I’ve been lucky.

I too have had many many tears dealing with the pain and panic attacks when the thought of having this pain everyday until I die is too much to bear, but the tram has been a God send for me.

It may work for you.