Hip surgery?

Options
IffatH
IffatH Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

I’ve got advanced OA in my left hip. No cartilage left bone on bone and I’m on constant pain and inflammation in my groin and buttock. I’ve had two steroid jabs now on both sides! I’m 44 and have been told the only solution is THR. I’m anxious because I know I’ll need another surgery in my 60’s.

im taking cocodamol every day. Is there no alternative apart from surgery?

Comments

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460
    Options

Hello @IffatH

welcome to the community. I am sorry that you have been in so much pain and I can understand your anxiety about future surgeries. However hip replacements are constantly improving and you don't really know how long your hip will last. Remeber we are all individuals. I had my firt hip repacement at 36 I am now 61 and it is still going strong. I would suggest you discuss these concerns with your surgeon and a physio and discover the best way to look after your new hip and keep well and as fit as possible.

You might find Dana's story inspiring

you might also find these exercises useful.

Most importantly keep asking questions and be honest about your fears with your surgical team. Let us know how you get on

Best Wishes

Sharon

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options

This has to be your own decision @IffatH as it can have lasting consequences.

My own daughter had hip surgery at 18 and a news shoulder at 19. Sometimes there is not much choice. She is 24 now so I worry about her future, but she was in so so so much agony at the time and had such low quality of life.

Sharon is an excellent example of how if you look after your replacements they might do a lot better than you fear.

Keep posting keep talking to us and do let us know how you get on ((()))

Toni x

• TLee
    TLee Member Posts: 88
    Options

I am 62 & have bone-on-bone in my left hip. The pain has gone from bad to worse (to unbearable at times). I have also had steroid injections that offered almost no relief, and gave PT a try but was basically told it would not help. My doctors seem to be putting off surgery for some unknown reason, and it is really making me angry; especially as I read the success stories from folks here who are back to active lives with no pain! I have doubts about how much THR would help me, as I also have some deterioration in the spine and pelvis, but if someone offered me a new hip tomorrow, I think I'd jump at the chance! Even though surgery is scary & recovery sounds like it can be a bear, is what I'm living with now any better? It certainly is your decision, but I don't think you'd regret it. Keep posting here, as I will be very interested in how things play out.