Prednisolone

Options

Any one else recently prescribed Prednisolone for inflammatory arthritis. If so how long until it takes effect? I am on 25mg a day probably only for three weeks and then methatrexate. Anyone’s experiences of either of these meds would be welcome.

Hope you’re all doing ok.

crizmiff

Comments

• JenHB
    JenHB Member Posts: 136
    Options

I was prescribed a short course of prednisolone at the end of Feb - I started on about 25mg for 2 weeks and then it decreased every fortnight and found that it helped very quickly!

I was put on it to tide me over until I started on the methotrexate in March. Think I was only put on it as my hand suddenly got bad so much that it was difficult doing things like holding cutlery.

Methotrexate can take longer to work - for me I used to do a lot of running and it had got back to run-walking (and did a half marathon at the end of September). Although since the start of this month however my knees especially are not happy but was told when I started on it that there are other options!

• Crizmiff
    Crizmiff Member Posts: 9
    Options

Thanks , that’s very helpful as I want to get back on my bike and your experience has made me believe it might be possible. C

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options

I think many of us have a love/hate relationship with pred as it works like a dream but is, of course, not good long term.

My most dramatic episode with it was way back in the 70s. I literally couldn't get out of bed one morning and my GP, who had a surgery and knew that if I said I couldn't then I coudln't, came ŕound (yup, this was the 70s) and prescribed a course of pred. Two hours after my first dose I was in the kitchen brewing up.

I can't remember how long my meth took to work but it does work well for me. I've been on it,over 20 years now. I hope you get good results.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • CrazyrunningDog
    Options

My GP prescribed Prednasola and the results were quick I could feel it working within a few hours and by the end of the week I was much better. However after about a week of not being on it my symptoms returned.

I have now started Methotrexate and have been taking it for 8 weeks it has had some effect the flare ups are shorter in duration and less intense. I was told that it can take more than 12 weeks before it really works. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

The side affects of taking MTX have reduced quite considerably over a relatively short period of time. At first they made me feel sick and very hot and stopped me sleeping the day I took it. Now I tolerate it very well.

I am hoping to be able to get back on my bike and start to enjoy the things I did before guess I just have to be patient which is not easy with RA

All the best Martyn

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 417
    Options

I have been on three courses of Prednisolone 15mg or less, each time for a somewhat different symptoms of severe stiffness and swelling in my arms and legs, which laid me out, but each time to restore some mobility, so I can get back on my feet, so I have always seen mobility as the primary use of Prednisolone. I found the dose takes about half a day to kick in, and about half a day to kick back out again, going back to square one, if the dose is suddenly stopped, but much longer to find ways to avoid flare ups.