Osteoarthritis and bi-polar :/

Options
MelQ
MelQ Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hello everyone. I thought i'd join and see if there is anyone else out there who like me has two very debilitating illnesses.

I am 54 suffered with depression all my life. Have now been told that my Osteoarthritis is spreading like wildfire. My hips, knees, back and right elbow. I was diagnosed with deformed hips in 2006 and had FAI on both. I have now been told that i'm possibly looking at double hip replacement. I am divorced live alone without any support. I work full time and have no choice for financial reasons. I hate how my life has ended up. I am not able to take anti-depressants because i also have bradycardia. I have three children in there 30's. Two who have cut ties with me last year as they cannot cope with my down days (I lock myself away for day's and sleep) it's my coping mechanism. My youngest lives in Wales with my grandson. They are the ones who keep me going at the moment with video calls etc. On the outside most people think i'm a happy but quite person but inside I am screaming.....

With the current world situation thing are getting more and more difficult. I sit at home with no heating wrapped in layers of clothes and blankets because I have to make a choice of eating and paying for fuel or putting my heating on; my house is currently 12 deg. I earn just above the minimum wages so am not entitled to benefits. I have tried claiming PIP (WHAT A JOKE)....no luck as of yet!.

Why is there no help for the lower income working people who have cut back on everything, sold anything the have to raise a bit of cash, get food from food banks run around in old cars (mine died yesterday - starter motor gone caput!). We seem to be the forgotten ones who work and pay our taxes all our lives for nothing........

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 991
    Options

Hello @MelQ and welcome to the online community,

Living with two debilitating illnesses, as you are with osteoarthritis and depression, can be challenging at the best of times, but even more so in these days. You've made a good move by joining the forum - everyone here is very welcome and supportive, and many can understand some of what you're experiencing

There are some helpful pages on the Versus Arthritis website that you might like to look at - I've linked to them below. The page on Financial support has a section on addition support to help with living costs that might be useful:

There are some simple suggestions on the page below for looking after and improving your emotional health:

If you want to chat to someone about your situation, Helpline is a free and friendly service where you can chat to experienced advisors. Many of our members have found great comfort from talking with them. Their number is 0800 5200 520 (Monday-Friday, 9am - 6pm).

Now that you've found the community, why don't you have a look round and join in any of the conversations whenever you feel comfortable. There's a general chat page called Val's Cafe where members call in to chat and support each other. I'm sure you'll be made welcome.

Anna (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• MelQ
    MelQ Member Posts: 2
    Options

I have looked into financial support and there is absolutely nothing available because I earn 72p just over the minimum wage. I can't have a pay increase as there is only just enough money coming in for the business i work for. There are no jobs around (I live in Cornwall) it's all seasonal work and i have been in my job for 30 yrs and they are so understanding of my conditions. I really am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I can't even sell my home because it needs too much work doing to it. My ex left me 5 years ago with 40k of secured debt against my house and declared himself bankrupt. I don't have the money to take him to court and I wouldn't get a penny from him if i did. The rental prices are higher than my mortgage also. I am really stuck between a rock and a hard place.......

Sorry for the ranting. I just need to vent....