Waiting times

Options

Hi,

I was lucky enough to see a private consultant last week. He confirmed that my hip is bone on bone and that I need replacement.

Just wondering how long people are waiting on NHS. I’m told 12-14 months? I feel that I have no choice but to find £10,000 and go private.

I never thought I would say this and I am not in a financial position to do this. I’m going to take out a loan. I just can’t cope on painkillers indefinitely.

I’ve also read that lots of people are now travelling to Lithuania as it’s cheaper. It makes me so sad that people can’t access the help they need on the NHS. 😢

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,487
    Options

Hi @Manningj

Gosh I am sorry to hear how much you are struggling. I dread to think of you taking out a loan for essential surgery. Obviously your own circumstances are your own, but I would fear being able to pay it back.

Is it not possible to 'go on the list' and look at the exercises here work on getting as fit and healthy as you can so that you are ready for surgery when your turn comes? Some people are able to improve things quite a bit with exercise and of course stringer soft tissues around a joint mean a better recovery from surgery anyway.

You could always change your mind if you really can't cope in say 6 months time????

I do hope though that you would be very cautious about travelling abroad for major surgery like this I have heard some horror stories.

You've probably already seen this but towards the end of this article there are some exercises you could try.

Do let us know what you decide to do we will be there with you whatever you do all the way

Toni x

• Lane
    Lane Member Posts: 113
    Options

Hello @Manningj welcome to our friendly community, I see you have already made a connection.

I understand that you are waiting for a hip replacement. I have attached a link for your information:

All the best.

• PatB2255
    PatB2255 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hello, I really feel for you, I am so sorry you are suffering like this, the waiting times are horrendous to get your surgery. I phoned this morning to see where I was on the list for my knee replacement and was told the list is currently 160 weeks, 3 years she said. I just feel hopeless like you, it’s no life living like this. I priced up a new knee privately in Cardiff and it it just under £15k, sorry I don’t have that. When I saw my Consultant last in September he looked at my x-ray and said perfect candidate for the replacement, front of my knee is detached, and a piece of bone is loose in the back of my knee. If it’s that bad why do I have to wait so long like lots of other people, who also can’t afford to go private. My hips and back are gone with the arthritis too. It is agony sometimes just to get up in the mornings, and I know other people are suffering just the same. Things have got to change. Look after yourself. Pat

• Manningj
    Manningj Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hello @PatB2255

I've just come back to this discussion. How are you? Are you any closer to a date? I do hope so as it sounds miserable with the pain in your knee.

I have finally got a date for my new hip - 18th May. I am so excited, but also worried it might get cancelled. It has been a huge struggle to be seen - with some appointments (with occupational therapy) cancelled at the last minute. When I asked why, I was told that someone was in greater need.... I'm not sure how they can work out who is suffering most. I just can't believe you've got to wait 3 years. It's ridiculous.

I appreciate that there are people who say you can exercise and that helps, but I haven't found it has helped and I used to be very active. I think once it gets to the point that it's bone on bone, nothing really helps.

The only treatment which has helped me and has allowed me to continue working is the PEMF treatment I have paid for. I hope you get seen soon.

All the best,

Julie