Armchair Post Op for Total Hip Replacement

Hi Everybody,

Firstly can I thank everyone who took the time to show their kindness in replying to my previous discussion. Even thinking of it now brings tears of relief that I am not having to face this alone. I couldn't understand why I had felt so tearful since receiving the letter about my pre op assessment. I think this is it. Thinking I had to face another uphill struggle alone.

You have no idea what this has meant to me.

Can I ask people's opinion again. Looking at my furniture, I don't think my settee and armchair will fit the bill post op. The arms on the chair are too wide apart to provide a good space for my arms to be able to push me up with sufficient strength, I dont think.

But what I do have is a really good camping chair. It's strong, mesh (so gives) and is comfortable. It's on 4 well spaced legs. I wondered if that would do if the OTs can heighten it a bit for me. The only query I had was if the fact its no where need as heavy as a usual armchair could be a problem??

I am going to take a photograph on my phone of my armchair (I've also put the width measurements on the OT form I was sent too) and of the camping chair, so the OTs can have a look at them.

Any thoughts anybody?

Sheelee xx

Comments

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223

Hi @Sheelee I don't know for sure but I think it's possible you might be worrying a little too much about this. If your chair is high enough perhaps all you will need is to push yourself up with the help of your good leg and your hand on one arm of the chair or settee. Try experimenting to check and practice to see if you can manage to stand and sit without breaking the 90° rule. To raise seat heights I just used bricks under the castors on my settee and a platform I made from an offcut of wood and four castors for my chair. You can buy leg supports that would fit some chair legs but they wouldn't be suitable for our camping chairs. If you're getting support from an occupational therapist I'm sure they'll be able to offer more expert advice.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,340

Hi @Sheelee

I'm so very very pleased that you have found this forum so supportive. I want to thank you for saying so!

Is the OT coming out to see you to look at seating? If so please do show them your chair it needs to be sturdy because you will use your body weight through your arms a lot initially to stand up and sit down. They have raisers they can use for you to heighten the chair easily enough.

We're not all able to make stuff like @RogerBill unfortunately, he really does know his stuff when it comes to hip surgery so practicing like he says is really a good idea.

Take care

Toni xx

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

The OT can also provide raised cushions to put on or under the seat cushion to lift it up, if joinery isn't your forte! The arms on our chairs are quite wide, but you'll need one free hand for the crutches anyway, so you won't need to use two at once. I think you'll find the camping chairs too uncomfortable on your tenderised backside. You need something softer that supports your leg more uniformly.

• Sheelee
    Sheelee Member Posts: 153

Hi Lilymary,

Hope your weekend is going well.

I never thought about crutches. I'll have to ask the OTs about this because the problem I have is tendonitis in the knee of the same leg. That's more painful than the hip. Talking to tge person who does massage on my leg and back, she thinks my knee may protest a bit post op as the hip/leg will be in a different angle.

Regarding the camping chair, it really is like an armchair, and has a mesh seat and back so gives. I used it when waiting for my suite to be delivered. I remember thinking that this was the most comfortable chair I've sat on in ages. But it is low and I'm not sure they could lift it. I'm going to take pikkies of my armchair and camping chair, so they can see them. I worried about it being liw and whether it may topple over if I lost my balance.

Thank you do much for taking the time to respond to my messages. It really gets me thinking and reviewing my thoughts.

Sheelee x

• Sheelee

Dear RogerBill and frogmorton,

Again, thanks for your care and support. It means so much too me.

I've had someone come to help with some cleaning for a while, and Sharon's coming next week so we can do some experimenting by moving furniture around to create some space. And I'm going to practice getting in/out of chairs, and using my crutches.

I was saying to Lilymary that the other problem is the tendonitis in the knee caused by the twisting of my leg due to the dicky hip. The knee is actually more painful than the hip! So I can't rely on my knee to be able to support me too much. And I don't want to aggravate it any more than it will be by the fact the hip is going to be in a changed angle, which the knee may not like for a while.

I've got to go to the hospital for the assessment, but the letter does say the OTs may want to do a home visit as well. I'm going to take photos of the armchair and camping chair so they can see what they are like. I'm ringing the OT Assessment Centre next week to find out more about the assessment. I'll ask them if they would like me to bring the camping chair with me for the assessment. The form did say that they may be able to raise the height of chairs etc, provided the feet are less than 2.5" wide. The ones on my armchair are, unfortunately, 3", so I'll have to wait and see.

I'm not a DIY person at all RogerBill, so I'm going to have to rely on others. Plus I'd never be able to lift the chair to get any raises under the legs. It's a solid wood frame.

I'll let you know how it goes. From my experience of having worked alongside OTs they are usually pretty approachable people.

Thank you all again.

Sheelee

• MaureenB
    MaureenB Member Posts: 29

Can you put your camping chair against a wall? That would give extra stability on getting up and down. I know how you feel. My partner had to had a THR when in Greece in rented accommodation The bed was really low but our landlady put breeze blocks under the legs and that worked. Likewise he was using outside chairs in the garden with a cushion on them and they were pushed against a wall.

• Sheelee

Thanks Maureen. I'll give that a try. It really is very comfortable. Having found a solution to the possible tilting, thanks to you, I need to check out if it can be heightened.

You're a gem.

Sheelee

• MaureenB
    MaureenB Member Posts: 29

How are you doing Sheelee? I have just done my 6 weeks post op hip replacement. I have taken the raiser off the toilet and keep forgetting and sitting down with a bump! I see you have back issues, I have worn discs on the same side as my new hip. I am trying to walk with my foot straight and I am finding the back issues and pain are almost gone. yes my muscles are protesting about their new habits , but over the 6 week period they are getting used to operating in new ways.

• Sheelee

I'm so glad your recovery is still going well. I've just had my pre op assessment so it's wait for a date time.

The OTs are going to order me a high back chair from the Red Cross. They wouldn't go for the recliner chair for me to sleep in , but are supplying a back raiser for the bed.

I think habit comes into it post op, doesn't it? I would imagine that's when you realise how much compensatory habits you've acquired. And, for me at least, I think it will take me a while to realise I don't need to protect my left side any more.

I can't see me ever wanting to let go of mu raised toilet seat. The toilets they provide these days are so small that even without problems, it's difficult to get up and down. Cheaper ceramic loos rule not OK in my opinion!!

Hope you are going to be well enough to enjoy the coming festivities Maureen. I've just about bought mine in. The only thing that needs cooking is the joint!!

Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts Maureen. All the best to you Maureen.

Sheila

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315

Hi Shellie,

sounds like you have a chair solution, so that's good. The physio in hospital and the rehab team once you are home, will teach you the best way to get out of a chair etc. You may well need corrective insoles in your shoes to help your knee post op. Ask your consultant for a referral at your post op appointment.

Re the toilet seat - you'll most likely be able to keep it - most folk have trouble getting equipment collected after their recovery. I sent back some items, but kept a few things.

Speedalong

I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.