Methotrexate doesn't agree with me so been on nothing now for 3 weeks 🤦🏻‍♀️

Options

Had an allergic reaction to Methotrexate (tiny blisters all over fingers) so they stopped my Methotrexate which has helped my fingers but now having massive daily swelling on both ankles which has caused a nasty red/purple rash on both, told to see GP incase it's an infection but it's due to trauma to the blood vessels from constantly being swollen & now have blood "pooling" under the skin apparently !!! Very painful along with every other joint I have 🙁🙁 been off all medication now for 3 weeks & next RA appointment is 9th December so hope they give me something else to try then as not sure how much longer I can deal with this on no medication..making me so tired & teary through pain & frustration, trying to rest as often as I can but difficult when you are your husband's full-time carer, any suggestions would be very welcome xx

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 748
    Options

Hello @Angel666

I am sorry that you are struggling with a reaction to methotrexate, it sounds really uncomfortable and painful. Dealing with your own health concerns as well as being your husband's full-time carer, made me wonder if you have any support agencies helping you. These are two national groups which might be able to offer you both some support.

Age UK www.ageuk.org.uk Helpline 0800 678 1602.

Carers UK www.carersuk.org Helpline 0808 808 7777.

I hope that you have a successful visit to your RA consultant and that they are able to provide you with more suitable medication and pain relief. Do let us know how you get on.

Take care

Poppyjane ( Moderator )

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Annie234
    Annie234 Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hello Angel666

Im very sorry to hear of your reaction to Methotrexate. I too am on it and want to come off it but worried about the consequences Not least do I want to come off it because I think it is the cause of my hair shedding / thinning

i realize from reading your comment why one leg has a purple/ red rash coming up from my ankle where the psoriatic arthritis has eroded the joint….it must be due to the constant swelling and trauma to the blood vessels .

I see rheumatologist end December and will ask …..will let you know if anything can be done

I am also on a biologic etanercept/ benepali….so waiting to see effect.

Might be worth asking your rheumatologist if you are eligible for a biologic drug .

good luck with your appointment on the 9 th , I hope you are greatly helped.

ann

• Angel666
    Angel666 Member Posts: 47
    Options

@Annie234 seen 2 Gp's now about my legs as asked by RA dept & both said it is trauma through constant swelling due to RA not being under control, had a call from RA dept to restart Methotrexate at lower dose (10mg)this past Saturday which I did & told if lumps & blisters start on my hands again then to stop taking it immediately & they will try me on something else, due to go up Wednesday afternoon just so they can see the rash on my legs & got appointment on Friday 9th to see consultant hopefully & hope things start improving as pretty done with constant ankle swelling & joint pain now🙄 I do have a high pain threshold & sunny disposition but both are being tested atm 😅 I find this time of year very difficult emotionally anyway but trying to keep that smile on my face ☺️ take care xx jennie